IPHONE 4 Micro Sim - In IPAD?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by davids8477, Jun 25, 2010.

1. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Has anyone with an IPHONE 4 tried the SIM in their IPAD GS yet?
    If so did it allow you to get data connection via 3G?

Thanks

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I did try I got the signal and full bars but I was I a hurry so I dident test it

3. xraytech macrumors 68030

Not sure if it's legit cuz there was a cut in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjaJLg2q-Qs

4. xraytech macrumors 68030

It sorta works. I was able to get a 3G signal and exchange data.

Like the video says, you have to change your APN from "broadband" to "phone"

But a few minutes later it stopped working. I'm not sure if it's a bad 3G connection or AT&T blocking it.

Can someone confirm my findings.

5. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else have a more definitive answer to whether you can put your iPhone 4 micro-sim in the iPad 3G and use the data plan??

6. jhanlon macrumors member

Works for me in the USA

Works for me today

7. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I know that iPad SIM works on iPhone 4. Not sure the other way around.

8. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'd love it if AT&T just silently let us all do this. I'd love to get an iPad 3G and just be able to swap out the SIM depending on what I need. No use in having 2 data plans.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Ok, wait. You were in a hurry so you decided to eject the SIM from your iPhone and your iPad, switch them around, wait for service to reacquire on the iPad AND THEN, after all that, decided it was too much trouble to open up Safari and see if you had internet access?

I just want to make sure I understood this correctly.

10. chosentwist macrumors newbie

confirmed: I cut down my sim card from my 3gs 32gb phone, put it in my ipad, changed the APN to Phone...and it worked with ease. I screwed up the sim card though (the outside of it) so i couldnt get it to fit snug back into my 3gs...so i went up to att to get a new SIM card. so, yes..your SIM card from your iphone will work for data on the iPad. I have an iphone 4 on the way so i dont have to cut up my sim card when i want to use it on the ipad :p if anyone is interested in purchasing my iphone 3gs (3.1.2) jailbroken/unlocked, let me know...white, always been in a case, and can barely tell that it's been used.

11. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Does it change back when you remove the SIM? I read that you have to change the APN each time you install the iPhone SIM.

12. chosentwist macrumors newbie

when I take my 3gs trimmed down SIM card out of the iPad, and put its original micro SIM back in it, I just turn the Cellular data option to off...the APN is still on phone...and connects instantly to my wifi at home.

edit: so to answer your question, no..you don't have to change it back once you originally change the APN to 'Phone' . I have an iPhone 4 on the way, selling the jailbroken 3gs. I will post again when it gets here to let you know if the micro SIM from the iPhone4 work the same way. I would assume it does, but will post for sure.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

It will WORK but you might need to CHANGE THE APN.

(seriously, what's with the capital letters in the title and OP? :rolleyes:)

14. jscottbow macrumors newbie

I got my iPad 3G yesterday, and tried using my iPhone 4 SIM in it, but I only get 'No Service' in the upper left, despite various VPN settings I've found on several forums.

Perhaps this is an issue with using the iPhone 4 SIM, since most of the posts deal with cutting an older SIM to fit? If anyone has successfully gotten their iPhone 4 card to work for data in an iPad, could you please post the exact settings you used?
    Thanks much!

15. mefromfl macrumors newbie

i got it to work, i just changed the apn to "phone" and it works.

using my ip4 sim with ipad

Haven't tried it all day yet, so don't know if it will last, but i have tried with my sim twice and it works.

16. jscottbow macrumors newbie

Could you post what you put in the Username & Password fields?

17. mefromfl macrumors newbie

i left it blank

just changed the apn to "phone"

I also have unlimited data on my ip4 plan

18. jscottbow macrumors newbie

This is what I have it as now - APN = phone, with the other fields blank. I toggled airplane mode to update, and all I get is 'Searching....' in upper left.

Would there be any other factor to check? I did jailbreak the ipad....

Checking settings for General, do you show a Cellular Data Number in your About page?
    I show AT&T 6.0 as the Carrier, but Unknown for the cell data number. (Version is 3.2.1, modem firmware 06.15.00)

19. jscottbow macrumors newbie

OK, I finally got it to work! For anyone else having a problem like mine, what I decided to do is a fresh Restore with my phone SIM installed. That cleared whatever it was.

20. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

not true. neither work for the other. both tell me when i put the other sim in that I need an applicable data plan. havent tried since JB + ultrasn0w.