iPhone 4 micro-SIM not Compatible with iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robinfish, Jun 15, 2010.

1. robinfish macrumors member

Not sure how much of a surprise this will be to most people, but if you take a look at the iPhone FAQ section on Apple’s UK site, you’ll notice that it says that the iPhone 4 micro-SIM can’t be used in the iPad.

V3.co.uk reports that Nick Wilkins, press relations manager at O2, told them that if you place an iPhone 4 micro-SIM in an iPad, the SIM will not work.

So, anyone hoping to switch micro-SIMs between the two and share data allowance, for example, will be disappointed. If you just want to revert your micro-SIM to your old phone that uses a standard SIM, according to V3.co.uk, O2 has said that this will be possible using their supplied adaptor.

Source: V3.co.uk

2. Pring macrumors 6502

The actual FAQ from Apple is

Are iPhone 4 and iPad micro-SIM cards interchangeable?
    No. Your iPad micro-SIM card will not work with your iPhone.

I read that as being your iPad SIM won't work in your iPhone (as not it's voice provisioned) whereas your iPhone SIM in your iPad will work for data only.

That makes more sense, especially given the UK model iPhone 4 is unlocked so technically any SIM can be used.

3. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

it depends on your contract. My iPad microsim is compatible with iphones and anyother phone because it's a multisim.

That is, my operator gave me another sim with my own number. I can put both sims in two gsm phones and receive calls and sms (I can even call my own number and the other sim rings!).

When i use it in the ipad, the operator's computers recognise this and temporarily turn off voice and sms, leaving only data on.

So it really depends on how advanced your operator systems are.

4. robinfish thread starter macrumors member

In a blunt Q&A on its FAQ pages, the company states: “Are iPhone 4 and iPad micro-SIM cards interchangeable? No. Your iPad micro-SIM card will not work with your iPhone.”

So I think it's none of the operator systems and the reason is "incompatible SIMs".

5. sheikhsphere macrumors newbie

sheikhsphere

I've just tried putting my iPad micro-SIM on my iPhone 4. It works with data only (3G).

I've tried putting my iPhone 4 micro-SIM on my iPad but it not working yet since the iPhone 4 micro-SIM is not activated yet.

Both are on AT&T.

6. Boiler macrumors regular

If you're iphone 4 micro sim works in an ipad 3g, please post the news.

Also, does taking the iphone 4 sim affect AT&T's unlimited data plan?

Would the unlimited iphone 4 data for $30 be lost if the micro sim were taken out of the iphone and put into an ipad 3g?