Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kretek1811

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Alright so I've taken this thing apart quite a few times with no success. I need to figure this one out because it has happened twice now. So the bottom right and the top left mic aren't working and obviously I've done the basics. Tried voice memo, tried recording, tried calls. Nothing worked. Do I need a mobo (or mic chip) replacement or is this just a matter of the dock/mic antenna getting damaged in some way? I'm hoping it's the simpler of the two but I'd like some feedback.

Thanks,

-Kretek

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
top mic is controlled by the power button/proximity sensor/speaker mic flex

bottom mic is controlled by the bottom dock/bottom mic assembly(also partly works with the home button).

Try replacing those 2 parts, if you have taken apart the phone a few times it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

If that doesn't work something has gone wrong with your Logic Board(this is assuming all software possibilities are out of the question).

Kretek1811

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
I've done numerous traditional tests with the software. I think it's the hardware. Would the person be able to hear through the ear piece if the top mic was malfunctioning? (I know these two parts are separate--I'm asking for the sake of elimination)

Additional notes: this particular phone's vibration works. Am I to proceed and assume that the headphone jack (untested as of 3/6/12) is functioning as intended?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.