iPhone 4 MicroSim in iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndpitch, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

So I broke the back of my iPhone 4 when I dropped it, but I'll be sending it out to Square Trade soon.

The question is, am I able to take my iPhone 4 MicroSim, put it in a home made adapter, throw it in my iPhone 3G, and still be able to make calls and use data? Or do I just have to wait for my Iphone 4 to get shipped back from Square Trade?

I've seen some articles about putting an iPad microsim in an iPhone 3G to make it a data-only device, but I wasn't sure about using the iPhone 4 MicroSim. Hopefully I can make myself a temporary phone while I wait for my iPhone 4 to get shipped back from Square Trade.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you can make one if you’re careful. You should have kept your old sim. Just trace the micro onto it, cut, and then tape the micro into it. YMMV. Some people have had problems getting the sim out.

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

When I got my iPhone 4 my carrier gave me a SIM adapter that enables me to use the micro SIM in my old phone cause I needed to activate the new SIM on my old phone for some reason and it worked fine.

Just a cheap bit of plastic you put the micro SIM in but it worked, good to have incase something happens to my iPhone.

4. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

I do still have my old SIM that was in my 3G. But - that's totally deactivated now right? But, I could use it as a template to make an adapter, correct?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s what my post above was telling you. There are links to tutorials for doing it that way. If I find one, I’ll post it here. I wouldn’t do it without the pics/tutorials if I were you. And like I said, some people have had the sim stick in the iPhone and had to take the phone
    apart to get it out.

Here ya go:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Create-a-Micro-SIM-to-SIM-Converter/3183/1

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Also, you might be able to ask for a regular SIM from your provider.

Or the repair shop might be able to help you if you are going to them.

7. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I got an adaptor to put my micro-SIM in and I've been swapping it back and forth between my 4 and my 3G with no problems.