Iphone 4 MMS + airvoice possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chantspel, Aug 30, 2013.

1. chantspel macrumors newbie

Is it possible to get MMS to work with Airvoice on an unlocked iPhone 4? Previous carrier was ATT. I've been searching high and low on how to access the MMS settings but I can't seem to figure it out.

2. iPhoneOliver macrumors newbie

Me Too

I'm in the same boat exactly, just as frustrated.

3. iPhoneOliver macrumors newbie

I just found this, which is relevant to me:

"UPDATE: An AT&T rep later told me that you must have an active SIM card in the iPhone in order for the unlock to go through."

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/04/11/unlock-an-att-iphone-in-5-easy-steps/#ixzz2eALkYEze

I did not have an active SIM card in my phone when I did the restore, so maybe that's why I'm where I am. I have no idea how to fix the situation. I now have an active SIM card and restored again, but still "Carrier" in Settings says AT&T and I do not have the "Cellular Network" radio button that is supposed to let me configure the phone for MMS etc.

4. k3mikal macrumors newbie

same problem here... I just ported my number from AT&T to airvoice, the Airvoice Support page for iphone says to enter the MMS apn settings...but in the 'cellular' tab i cant edit my apn settings, even though my phone is unlocked.

whats weird is that if I got to settings>phone> at the bottom it still says AT&T services...even though the network is airvoice wireless..

I tried brute forcing mms apn settings by using cydia apps, still same problem..couldnt get it to work

5. iPhoneOliver, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

iPhoneOliver macrumors newbie

Use a T-mobile SIM to configure settings, then swap back

I read about this at another forum and it worked for me. I went to a T-mobile store and asked to borrow an active SIM. When I stuck that in, I had access to the ASN and MMS settings, and I typed in what Airvoice said I should (deleting the T-mobile settings that had been automatically applied). The access disappeared when I put my Airvoice SIM back in, but still for the first time I was able to browse the Web and send MMS without wifi.

PS I trimmed down and tried an inactive unsmart tracphone SIM and the phone acted like it had no SIM in it at all.

Update: Actually I've simplified the story, which involved me miss-entering the MMS settings at the T-mobile store and correcting them at an Apple Store. There I found out you don't even need an activated SIM card. I succeeded with one of the new and ready-to-be-activated SIM cards the store had on hand for people buying a new phone plan along with their iPhone. So you could just order a new card on eBay or buy one at Walgreens for $5-10, if you didn't feel like traipsing around to borrow one.

6. objc macrumors regular

For me, changing the APN when a different SIM is installed did not work. this is a factory unlocked iphone that I'm talking about. Installing a profile from unlockit.co.nz also did not work.

Here is what I had to do to get MMS working on Airvoice...

1. Jailbreak (I had already done that step).
    2. Install APN edit from Cydia (there are two of these; only one worked).

Now you have the cellular data menu in the settings app visible, even with the AV SIM installed.

3. Put in the correct MMS APN.

When I went in, the MMS APN was wrong. Everything else had stayed as I had set it when the TMo SIM was installed. I edited the APN for MMS and switched back to Messages. Still no dice. I then killed the messages app and relaunched it. Success! Send and receive both work!