iPhone 4 MMS issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shroogis, Jun 25, 2010.

1. shroogis macrumors newbie

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 from a 2g, so that's a huge change. I sync'd my old phone, and sync'd the new phone after activating it to move my contacts and crap over. I have yet to send a successful MMS message. Everytime I try to send one (on Edge, I'm in the boonies right now, so no 3g), it fails. Anyone experience this or can shed any light on it?

Thanks

2. SamTheGeek macrumors newbie

I also cannot send MMS, and I'm in the 'burbs with 5 bars of 3G service. I don't think that edge has anything to do with your problem.
    I called AT&T, they were very helpful (for once) and made sure everything was provisioned properly on their end. Unfortunately, Apple says our fix is to restore the phone and start from scratch. This will be the third iPhone I've done this for in 24 hours.
    Anyone else have any other ideas?

3. shroogis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd hate to restore the phone to factory :( I hope there's a fix for this. I've been MMS exempt for 3 years!

4. SamTheGeek macrumors newbie

A restore did nothing. AT&T was no help. I'll see tomorrow with a phone call.

5. shroogis thread starter macrumors newbie

Sam, I restored to factory just now and still can't send MMS. Please let me know what Apple/AT&T recommends to fix this issue.

Nate

6. SamTheGeek macrumors newbie

After spending an hour and a half on the phone with AT&T, they took me through many steps to fix the problem. From what I've heard, many iPhone 4.0 devices (not just iPhone 4s, but 3GSes as well) have been having the problem. Supposedly, they can open a ticket to alert the network techs that you're having an issue, but not much else.
    Supposedly, according to the escalated tech support person I was talking to, a carrier update should be issued eventually to remedy this issue.

7. socco macrumors regular

I had the same problem upgrading from the 2G iPhone. After about 30 minutes on the phone with AT&T it started working. I continued to try as I was on the phone, and eventually one went through. He didn't say anything, but I'm assuming it's some setting they changed on my account. I'd suggest giving them a call when you have time.

8. SamTheGeek macrumors newbie

Mine started working all of a sudden too. It wasn't while they were on the call though, it was afterwards.

9. shroogis thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine still doesn't work. I will call AT&T today and see if they can do their jobs for once.

10. DavidBauder macrumors newbie

I had the same issue. I had the first generation iphone then upgraded. It seems it's a network issue. The tech support person at att even confirmed that to me. They changed the phone "type" on the account to the iphone 4 from the first generation iphone and the MMS started working. It looks like this might be an issue with everyone who upgraded in this fashion.