iPhone 4: mushy home button unless pressed at the center

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reaborg, Jun 29, 2010.

1. reaborg macrumors member

I may be nitpicking but it seems that unless the home button is pressed directly at the center, I don't get that nice click response. If pressed off centered, then it seems to be a bit mushy without a nice click. The phone also does not respond every time if pressed off center. My girlfriend also has the iPhone 4 and her home button 'clicks' even when pressed from the edge, thus cause of concern with my phone.

Anybody else with this issue? This is my first iPhone and while I am lucky to not have any of the other issues, I wanted to see if it was just my iPhone with the home button "issue".

2. navajarunner macrumors regular

navajarunner

3. mattd313 macrumors newbie

What did you guys do about this?

Mine is slightly "mushy". It does click, but just barely.
    It is always responsive, even if pressed on the edges, but I'm concerned about this getting worse.

It could be that I'm looking for a problem, since everyone I know has at least one problem with their iPhone 4. I haven't found anything, except the home button feels a little less clicky than my wife's...

Can it get worse? :confused:

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Aah! I thought i was the only one. Mine won't even register if i press it at the very top. (3GS that is) Ive had it for over a year and it hasn't caused any problems/stopped working

5. mattd313 macrumors newbie

That's good to know.

Out of curiosity I looked up how to get to the home button to replace it (if it ever came to that) and you have to gut almost the entire phone to get to it. :eek:

Hopefully it'll remain this way. Works, just doesn't have firm click.

Anyone else have other thoughts?

6. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

it's unacceptable, schedule an appointment. i got mine replaced, the phone wouldn't register a click unless it's dead center.

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have a mushy home button and sleep/wake button. My sleep wake doesnt even make a clikc noise, I'm guessing you all would suggest geniu appt/and replace huh?

8. mattd313 macrumors newbie

If it doesn't register unless it's dead center I'd say definitely have it replaced.
    Mine works fine- I just don't know if it has the potential to get worse.
    Other than this my phone is perfect so I'd hate to risk replacing it and run the risk of getting one with yellow spots or dust under the glass etc.

Dunno what to do!

9. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

All of my iphones have had a button that needs to be actually pressed to register a click. I can replicate what you're saying but it feel unnatural not to press in the center with the base of the thumb. I would also not risk trading it in for something worse. And who knows, at this point they might actually have refurbs at higher volume stores. Let us know what you decide and good luck!