iPhone 4: music suddenly starts playing on its own

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by darkfiber, Sep 2, 2010.

1. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I have a iPhone 4 (32GB) running 4.0.2 and over the past week or two I have noticed that whatever music I have currently paused on my phone will just start to play. In fact it just happened again now. The iPhone was just sitting on my desk next to me in sleep mode and the music just suddenly started to play on it. It happened a few days ago as well when I was walking around a store with the phone in the side holster I have. I have tried rebooting the phone (even a hard reboot). Is there some app that might be causing this? Very strange. There is a thread on the Macworld forums about it but it isn't very active which is why I decided to post here about it as well.

2. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I had hoped that iOS 4.1 would have fixed this issue, but it did not. It has happed at least twice since I updated my iPhone 4 yesterday to the iOS 4.1 GM. One time I was just running the Facebook app and the music that was currently paused on the iPod player on the iPhone started playing. Another time I launced the camera app and it started playing. Neither time did I have any headphones plugged in BTW.

Very strange. I wonder if I have a defective iPhone?

3. mike111 macrumors newbie

i also face the same issue but i replaced my phone !!!!

:cool::cool::cool:

4. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

How long ago did you replace your iPhone? Was it an iPhone 4? Has the issue happened since you replaced it? When you went to replace it did Apple say it was a known issue or what the cause was?

5. Louisd macrumors newbie

iPhone just starts playing music

My 3Gs does the same thing, suddenly every few days a random song will begin to play from the beginning. Not the one paused. The apple forum has several threads - everyone is mystified. The phone is usually in my pocket and fully off when it happens - I am often moving around. So far it seems to like Rock. A friend thinks the switches inside are reacting to moisture but some woman on the apple forum has a one month old 4 that does it too.
    Hopefully it won't burst into a rude Frank Zappa tune in mixed company.:eek:

6. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

This issue with mine stopped on its own. Or at least I think it was on its own.

It was so bizarre. There was a song that kept on playing on its own from time to time, so I deleted it and then one of my music apps that started playing on its own and I delete it. It hasn't happened since (about 4 months now I think?). So I don't know if it was a bug with an app or what.

7. Savage007 macrumors newbie

Same here i4s

happens about twice a month.

Always the perfect song for the moment too! :) I thought I may have been haunted which led me to search out this discussion board :)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one !!!

8. PRINCPN macrumors newbie

I have the same issue and I think it is because I double tap the home key. my phone is in a case and sometimes doesnt respond quickly enough for me so I think I hit it twice which launches the music. And if the music is already on play it just starts playing again. Not sure if that is the answer but its the best I can think of! Good luck!

9. Louisd macrumors newbie

Time for an upgrade

My phone is running 6.1.3 and its been so long since the music was a problem that I had forgotten this thread. I suggest that you upgrade if you have no reason not to.