iPhone 4 Music Video. Amazing Quality.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Turnback, Oct 30, 2010.

1. The Turnback macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I recently finished shooting a music video in support of my feature film DRAWING WITH CHALK and shot with the iPhone 4. All footage except the clips from the film were shot with one iPhone 4 with someone who never used an iPhone before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBOiaJJ2eLQ

I shot my film with the Panasonic HVX200 and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality of the iPhone 4!

I edited in Final Cut Pro in the iPhone 4 native format and, again, was very pleased how it handled effects processing (though I do wish the YouTube compression for the fade outs where a bit better).

Please comment and share the video.

Todd

2. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Very nice quality and music video! It's amazing that this was shot from an iPhone. I'm curious though, were you using the native camera app or one from the App Store?

3. The Turnback thread starter macrumors newbie

I used only the native camera app in the phone. When I edited in Final Cut Pro I place the footage in a 23.98 sequence (my film footage is native 23.98). I never converted the iPhone footage from 30fps (or re-encoded to a different codec) and knew that various frames would automatically be dropped from the phone footage but this is what I wanted to help give it the 'old' footage appearance.

I have to say that the iPhone did extremely well while editing (it really did handle the effects processing well) and it's amazing just how clear each individual frame is.

In the end I ended up having to rid my film footage of noise just to match the clean video the iPhone delivered. Yes there was some video issues while dealing with (I believe the iPhone has a CMOS sensor) certain wobble due to extreme motion (mainly the drum sticks), but every type of sensor (even the RED camera) has this issue to some extent.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

It's actually kind of funny that I've had to convince people that this actually was shot with an iPhone (to the point I had to show the original footage still on my phone).

Todd

4. The Turnback thread starter macrumors newbie

btw, I've actually been a long time macrumors reader (for YEARS!) I probably look at this site at least once a day...