iphone 4, my first iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GreenHead, Jun 14, 2010.

1. GreenHead macrumors newbie

I plan to get the iphone 4. I am a current customer but have never had an iphone or a data plan with at&t. My question is, if I pre order it from at&t or apple, how do I activate it? I have read that you have to sync it with itunes when you first get it, but do I have to go to the at&t store to have it activated?

Would I be better off pre ordering from at&t so that I can select the data plan I want since I currently don't have one?

If I do have to go to the at&t store to activate it, what is the benefit of pre ordering? Assurance of getting one in a shortage?

Also, if I pre order, I plan to have it shipped to my office. Can I sync it with itunes on my office computer to set it up and then take it home and sync it on my home computer?

greenhead

2. tylertech macrumors regular

If you pre-order online from either website, it will arrive on the release day at your house. When you plug it into iTunes you activate it through iTunes, so you don't even have to leave your house to activate it. You also select data plans on iTunes so it doesn't matter where you pre-order it.

You can activate it at your office to initially set it up to use it, but once you sync it at your house any apps and info will probably be erased just a warning.

3. St8kout macrumors regular

The apple website says it will arrive already activated, so I imagine when you preorder you will be asked to choose what data/phone plan you want since ATT is the only carrier option, and all that will be taken care of.

I preordered mine from ATT website because I get a gov't discount on services and wasnt sure I would get it if I went through Apple. Besides, ATT website was up first while Apple still had the "Well be back soon" banner lol.