iPhone 4 Needs a Case. (pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleisgod, Jul 8, 2010.

1. appleisgod macrumors regular

So I have had the iphone 4 since it came out and love everything about it. I'm still waiting for incase to come out with a decent case so I can protect it without it driving me crazy. Well the other day I was playing basketball with it in my pocket when it happened to slip out. I picked it up and to my surprise, the screen was done for. My 3G has survived many higher falls than 3 feet, but apparently it only takes one on this phone. :(

Attached Files:

2. wope macrumors member

lol what? you play basketball with it in your pocket?

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

4. Vol7ron macrumors 6502

Vol7ron

That is rough...glass just isn't as durable as plastic or plexiglass. The only difference is that Glass looks really awesome. The problem is this - a good drop and it is done for

5. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Oh, dude. Don't play sports with a glass phone in your pocket. I'm really sorry that happened. But you'll know next time? :(

6. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Sorry that happened to you but why in the world would you be playing basketball with your phone in your pocket? You need more than a case now. Best of luck to you, but learn from your mistake.

7. anitrajw macrumors regular

I really dont get some people:confused: why play basketball with a glass phone in ur pocket? why play basketball with a phone in ur pocket period? then come on here whining about how the glass shattered, you knew this was a possibility. Too late for a case now.

8. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

lol who plays basketball with a phone in their pocket? :rolleyes:

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

As has been demonstrated time and time again, a million factors go into a fall. This could have just as easily happened to your 3G as your 3GS as your i4.

I love how everyone tries to pretend like this glass face is so much different than the last glass face.

No. You just got lucky before and you didn't get lucky this time.

10. appleisgod thread starter macrumors regular

Well I have a court in my backyard and was just walking out to go to lunch and took a single shot. Its not like I went out with the sole purpose to play, obviously the phone stays somewhere safe when I do. Luckily for me, BestBuy warranty paid off, brand new phone for me! :)

11. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I dropped my 3G one time and it busted. There's to many factors that go into this. Sometimes all it takes is one drop, other times it can survive many.

Advice: don't play contact sports with glass in your pocket

12. SwedishFrog macrumors newbie

You can understand why people might have a hard time believing this, when initially you said, "the other day I was playing basketball with it in my pocket when it happened to slip out." You didn't exactly make it sound like you "took a single shot." Something tells me you weren't walking slowly when you took that shot.

Anyway, congrats on your replacement. Take care of this one.

13. appleisgod thread starter macrumors regular

Very true point my friend. I don't think before I type. Regardless, all I'm saying is buy a case. You wont regret it.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad you got the warranty, but be more careful next time.:p

15. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

16. kayno macrumors regular

kayno

The problem is not the phone.. the problem is you.. you choose to play sports with glass in your pocket.. Genius!

edit: So I saw your explanation, I guess its one of those **** happens moments.. Good thing you got insurance.

17. AJerman macrumors member

Good thing I saw this, now I will stop playing hockey with my iPhone in my pocket! Oh wait, I don't do that, that's just silly.

18. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I was playing full contact football with the iPhone taped to my shoulder pad and the damn thing cracked. When will Apple fess up that this gorilla glass is brittle garbage?

19. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

in related news, I was pole vaulting with my new macbook pro in my backpack. I landed on the friggen soft landing pad and my macbook's screen shattered! wtf when is Apple going to make quality glass for their products so that I can pole vault without worries??!
    [​IMG]

20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I was playing basketball with a wine glass in my pocket and look what happened.

Ugh.. wine glasses need cases.

[​IMG]

21. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ok, that cracked me up!

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Haha.

Seriously though, I don't even like walking around my house over carpet, with it in the pockets of my basketball shorts. I always check to make sure its towards the bottom of the pocket because Im worried about it slipping out. Nevermind playing basketball with it in my pocket.

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    True, a million factors do go into the fall. With the design of the phone being a lot of those million factors.

The new glass is stronger, but a breakable design can easily outweigh the strength. Now I'm not saying that the ip4 breaks more easily, but I have seen more reports of broken screens than I remember seeing the first week after the released of the previous 3 iphones.

The fact that the edge of the glass is exposed could be a larger factor than anticipated. Of course 2 glass screens mean there is twice the opportunity for the glass to break. Also the weight destribution and curves edges of the old iphone could have cause the iphone to land face up, or roll itself into safer positions.

Of course I'm sure Apple did many drop test analysis and determined it was fine, but I think with this ultra durable glass that is heralded as a huge feature, people were expecting the iphone to actually be more durable than previous iphones. Unfortunately this is not the case. (possibly even more break prone)

24. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

It sure would be nice to see a controlled test of the iPhone 4 glass vs. the 3G and 3GS.

I agree that anecdotal evidence on these forums cannot prove that one iPhone is more fragile than another, but the exposed front and back glass of the iPhone 4 just seems more prone to cracks, chips, and breakage than the relatively flush glass on the 3G and 3GS.