iphone 4, no serive after take apart.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boogaloo shrimp, Sep 20, 2010.

1. boogaloo shrimp macrumors newbie

ok for starters, I have taken apart a few iphone 4's and put them back together with no problems.

the one in question, I did everything as usual and afterwards, i put the sim in, it searches and then says no service. If I move somewhere with better reception I will get some bars but not for long.

It seems as if the phone isn't getting contact with the antenna.

First, I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on? also, where does the board connect to the antenna? is it through the dock connector?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. boogaloo shrimp thread starter macrumors newbie

4. boogaloo shrimp thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, answered some of my questions:

yes the antenna connects to the board through the dock ribbon cable. I pulled the cable from the bad phone and put it into my phone and it worked ok.

so I'm not getting any signal between the dock connector and the frame of the phone.......:(

5. dudensuite macrumors newbie

i have the same problem, did you ever fix it ?

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I have one doing the same thing. I dont see where the dock connects to the antenna so I am not sure that is the cause. but, everything is perfect on this phone except on the dock there are about 5 clips that hold it in place. I am wondering if these are maybe a ground or something.

7. dudensuite macrumors newbie

solution

i have found the problem :)
    the little silver connector which most people think is for the speakers is actually for the antenna, its the thing under the battery plate (the first thing you unscrew when you disassemble the iphone )
    IT HAS NOT CLICKED IN PROPERLY !

8. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

This thread is worthless without pics.

I haven't torn into a 4 yet, but its only a matter of time and it'd be really neato to know which connector you're talking about. I've watched a video or two, so I'm not completely ignorant about the guts of the 4.

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well Im glad you figured out your problem. but it would help the rest of us if you could post a pic of what you are talking about. there are at least 3 things I can think of that you could be describing! and to be honest I didnt think any of them had anything to do with the antenna but.................

10. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

The new antenna design of the iPhone 4 is more complicated than what people think, you might have messed up a small piece, or made contact with something you must not touch.

11. DEE9299, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

its the wire like i said.......it clicks in next to the battery.....re-seat it

Attached Files:

12. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

13. chargit, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

according to iFixit it is the antenna contact that you remove from the phone when you pry up the battery connector. then you remove the "antenna contact" thats the little part that usually goes flying!! lol but Dee is correct also cause the wire is called the "lower antenna connector" so check them both!

very good thread!