Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I just became upgrade eligible and took the iPhone 4 plunge. I received it today, but out of the box it's been a terrible experience. My 3GS next to it has 5 bars of 3G. I turn that one off and turn the new one on and I just have No Service. I can't activate it because of this.

I've tried toggling Airplane mode, resetting network settings, turning off 3G (just to try Edge only), and lastly I installed the 4.0.2 update (it came with 4.0.1 from AT&T) and it still has No Service. I also popped out the micro SIM tray and put it back in to make sure it was seated properly (even though it wasn't giving me a No Sim message or anything like that.) It was set up as a new phone.

I'm out of ideas and I have no time to bring this to a store or anything. Is there anything else to try before I have to send this thing back?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I just became upgrade eligible and took the iPhone 4 plunge. I received it today, but out of the box it's been a terrible experience. My 3GS next to it has 5 bars of 3G. I turn that one off and turn the new one on and I just have No Service. I can't activate it because of this.

I've tried toggling Airplane mode, resetting network settings, turning off 3G (just to try Edge only), and lastly I installed the 4.0.2 update (it came with 4.0.1 from AT&T) and it still has No Service. I also popped out the micro SIM tray and put it back in to make sure it was seated properly (even though it wasn't giving me a No Sim message or anything like that.) It was set up as a new phone.

I'm out of ideas and I have no time to bring this to a store or anything. Is there anything else to try before I have to send this thing back?

Your problem is:

Your Micro Sim wasn't activated properly. Your 3GS regular sim should be DEACTIVATED and the microsim activated. Only one can be active at a time, from my knowledge.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
So that weird. I went to AT&T's site looking for their support # and saw a link for activating your upgraded phone. So I did that, just entered my phone # and last four of my SSN and chose the line to activate and selected the IMEI # from the list that corresponded to my iPhone 4... and it worked after I rebooted my iPhone 4. What the hell was that about? Is that normal for activating an iPhone 4 that was an upgrade from a previous iPhone?

I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but I thought it would just have worked out of the box.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So that weird. I went to AT&T's site looking for their support # and saw a link for activating your upgraded phone. So I did that, just entered my phone # and last four of my SSN and chose the line to activate and selected the IMEI # from the list that corresponded to my iPhone 4... and it worked after I rebooted my iPhone 4. What the hell was that about? Is that normal for activating an iPhone 4 that was an upgrade from a previous iPhone?

I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but I thought it would just have worked out of the box.

I believe you have to call or go thru that process online to activate the new sim thats inside the iphone 4.
Something inside the receipt or paperwork that shipped with my iphone 4 explained how to do it and gave the website link from what I remember.

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego

thats what i did when i went to my ATT to get my iphone 4..had to enter my # and SSN to activate it and my 3GS got disconnected..this is the process :apple:

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Thanks for the help guys. I knew someone would figure out on here ;)

I checked the box from AT&T, and it had no special instructions or anything. I'm sure a phone call would have cleared it up. Now go get some sleep everyone!

Tex188

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
iPhone not activated

Hi. My iPhone was still in No Service mode 50hours after set up. But. I've managed to chat to o2 and all I had to do was press the home button on the front of the iPhone, then hold the on/off button at the top at the same time as pressing the home button until the white apple logo appeared.
After this, you let go and wait for the icons to appear again, and hey presto the o2 logo appears at the top and everything works.
Now, why didn't they say that in the first place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.