iPhone 4 "no service" yet picks up 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slapbang12, Apr 6, 2013.

1. slapbang12 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been working on an iPhone 4 that apparently was dropped down the toilet! It showed no sign of major water damage ie through sensors. The phone wouldn't stay powered unless plugged into a power source: so... Cleaned with isopropyl no everything works perfectly...except for the fact that it shows "no service" - however it shows 3G and the Internet seems to work.

Completely confused and any helps would be most appreciated as I'm going out my mind :)

Cheers

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Take it to Apple or an iphone repair shop and see if they can fix it.
    Its not something that can be corrected with software.

3. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

If its a hardware issue, which it definitely sounds like, you might need to replace the loud speaker assembly. This has the antenna cable on it. Just be careful with the cheap replacement assemblies.

4. slapbang12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies - I've changed the antenna for one that I had from another phone - which from memory was working fine - I just can't work out how it can pick up 3G but show no service. It's on orange and I've had a few issues with my i5 and service issues where you can still make and receive calls when it says "no sim" or "searching" but this one has me flummoxed