Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyNameIsDave

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
Blighty
I had the same problem with my iPhone - couldn't get any audio whatever I did. I tried all the tips (plugging in headphones a few times, reboot, restore from backup, restore to factory settings etc.), but nothing worked.

In the end I returned the phone as it was still under warranty and got a replacement.

Aseemkumar

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
Thank you

Okay so what I did to fix the problem on the iPhone 4 when I couldnt get any sound from the earpiece speaker was this..

1) checked that the volume went up and down on the phone.
It did
As I did this I noticed the volume symbol going up and down on the screen said "Volume (Head Phones)" I didnt have the head phone in....

So the phone thinks I have the head phones in... explains why I cant hear anything when I put the phone up to my ear, the sound has been divered away from the internal earpeice speaker to the head phones (Well thats how it would work in my simple non electronic mechanical thinking way)

I tried turning the phone off and on... no change...

Okay what I am about to tell you next wont appear in any "How to fix your iPhone" Manual

With the iPhone on, I pushed a toothpick into the head phone socket. (A wooden tooth pick) and went up and down in the volume button. I jiggled the tooth pick around without much success... Then I scrapped the bottom of the head phone socket hole... and gave it a little soft push... up and down on the volume.... and what do you know... the word "Head Phones" was gone from the screen... phone started working again.

How long ago did I do this?... About 3 minutes ago. I was so excited that I might be able to help some one I got on and registered to let you know.

Thank you very much for telling about the toothpick trick. I fell down today and the earpiece of iPhone 4 stopped working. I was thinking of taking it to repair shop but found your message and tried it... Eureka ! It works ... Thank you very much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.