iPhone 4 - No Sound

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slapbang12, Aug 28, 2012.

1. slapbang12 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ive checked the threads and no one has detailed a problem like this so here goes....

Im repairing an iphone 4 for a customer - just as she dropped it off someone rang her, so I know that there was sound...

Ive replaced the screen which was in a pretty bad way to be fair - opened it up to discover a sand like substance, obviously entering though the big gaps in the screen - anyway....

After replacing the screen, I noticed that there was no sound - none at all. Sound works on docking station and through headphones.

Ive changed the loud speaker block - no change. Ive changed the dock connector - no change. Ive also cleaned the bottom of the phone around the mic and loud speaker with isopropyl alcohol to make sure there is no sand or grit left in.

Note - when toggling from normal to silet mode, the usual symbols appear: bell with line through and then volume with a status bar underneath. And also tried the hard reset

Phone isnt jailbroken

Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be causing this? Is there anything that I have missed?

thanks in advance :)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Assuming mute is off, perhaps a restore? Looks like you've covered most of the bases here. Sometimes plugging and unplugging a headset a few times can work too.

3. slapbang12 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply - im going to put the motherboard in a different motherboard and see if that works at! very confusing and very frustrating :)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Could be corrosion somewhere too...Sand + phone is never a good combination!

5. slapbang12 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah - just seems strange that it worked before the repair. Dont know whether ive dislodged some sand/grit and its now causing me problems

6. slapbang12 thread starter macrumors newbie

changing the mid frame didnt work! not that I expected it to to be fair hhaa

7. Cristinalynan macrumors newbie

I got the same problem with my ipad 2. When I use the headphone, the sound is fine. Even after I restart my ipad, the problem is still there.

I don't know why.