iphone 4 no volume

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applemessiah, Feb 21, 2012.

1. applemessiah macrumors member

Jul 8, 2011
    i have an iphone 4 that currently has no sound. It does ring and makes the text message sound but there are no keyboards clicks or slide to unlock click or standby clicks. it also has no volume control when using youtube or ipod. i have music on it so i would use an auxilary cord to plug into my truck stereo. from reading other posts, i believe the inserting and pulling out of cord has caused the problem. What i am wanting to know if its a problem with actual board or the midframe? i have seen midframes on ebay for 35 dollars and i am able to switch out parts but dont wanna spend the money if the board has the problem. any help is appreciated.
  2. Alex230 macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2012
    Plug in a pair of headphones/earphones (firmly) ,play a track and eject the cord while still playing. That fixed my 3G that did this thing...after that ,it never happen to me again. Dunno if it's a permanent fix tho ,but it's a pretty common bug.
  3. justintrubela macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2012
    same problem no solutions...

i have the same exact problem my volume only works when i plug my headphones in and when im on speakerphone which is really weird...when i press the volume button on the home screen it just said ringer with no bars at all...i feel like when i downloaded the new ios software it did something to it...so the best part of the story is a week later with no volume and not having done anything with it because i read it likes to go away, i drop my phone and crack my screen...now my friends at apple sais they cant do anything because the screens cracked and they stopped replacing phones for free so now i am **** out of luck...ive tried cleaning, pulling headphone jack in and out, sucking air/dirt/whatever out the aux port, pulling charger in and out to see if it was stuck on dock mode but absolutly nothing...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS please i have been dying for 2 weeks without volume
  4. Benson11 macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Is there any indicators which saying that headphones is on?If the sound output source indicates "headphones" and no headphones are attached, try attaching headphones momentarily, then disconnect the headphone and press the volume button again. See if the sound output is now going through the built-in speaker. You may want to try repeating this more than once—inserting and removing the headset multiple times could free any debris that may have been lodged in the headphone jack. Do not attempt to insert anything other than the headphone connector into the iPhone headset jack.Try this....:):):)