iPhone 4 not activated. Will a custom firmware do the trick?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nukiduz, Sep 29, 2010.

1. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Hi there. I have an iPhone 4 that has not been activated yet. Besides, I don't know its current firmware and I need to jailbreak it and then unlock it. So, some questions:
    - Is there any way to know which firmware does it have? (serial number maybe?)
    - Can I put it in DFU mode and update to a 4.01 firmware? Will this activate the phone?

So, what would you guys recommend me? Thank you so much, I am quite lost right now...

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

That is called hacktivation. There is currently no way to do this on an iPhone 4. It needs to be activated before it can be jailbroken and unlocked (assuming it doesn't have the newer firmware/baseband already on it)

If the phone has never been jailbroken before, you won't be able to update to the 4.0.1 firmware.

3. The General macrumors 601

Find a friend with an iPhone 4 or iPad 3G that has AT&T. Put their SIM card in your phone. That will activate it.

4. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to find someone with a compatible microsim. Do you know if there's a hacktivation in the works?

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Nothing for iPhone 4

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Sim doesn't need to be activated. Worst case is buy one on ebay.