iPhone 4 Not Appearing in iTunes AGAIN

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by corolla2, Jun 27, 2011.

1. corolla2 macrumors newbie

corolla2

I recently moved from a first generation (early 2006) MacBook Pro to a used mid-2009 model using Migration Assistant, with a FireWire cord. It went quite well, with all my settings and hardware moving to the new computer.

However, when I tried to sync my phone in iTunes for the first time, it did not show up at all in the sidebar. Here are the things I tried to get it to recognize the phone: authorized the new computer to use iTunes; made sure my OS X 10.6 was completely updated; changed syncing cables and USB ports; unintalled and reinstalled iTunes; and restarted the phone. I finally restarted the phone under DFU, reset it to factory settings, and restored it from a backup I got from the old computers. iTunes then began seeing the phone in the sidebar and even syncing again! I thought I was out of the woods, and the phone was syncing fine all last week.

However, I tried syncing again today, and iTunes was not recognizing my phone again. Nothing was there in the sidebar! I shut down and restarted my phone, changed syncing cables, and switched USB ports, and still nothing. I don't want to have to restore my phone over and over or drag it out to the Genius Bar every time; I work full time and don't have time for that.

Particulars mid-2009 MacBook Pro with OS 10.6.8, iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.3, latest version of iTunes (10.3). Another note -- my entire iTunes playlist is on a Toshiba external hard drive. I have been using it this way for nearly a year with no trouble before migrating to the new computer. iPhone never has been jailbroken.

What could have happened? Any suggestions?

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Both your iTunes library and media folders are on that external disk?

The library is like the master index where settings backups etc are stored where the media directory is merely where your content is stored.

Read my hassle on this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1166397

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. corolla2 thread starter macrumors newbie

corolla2

When I decided to go to a hard drive a couple years ago, I used the article on iLounge referenced in a previous reply, as well as suggestions in Apple Support.

Once I booted up the new MacBook, I attached the external drive I always use, and iTunes saw the hard drive, since I had transferred all my settings with Migration Assistant.

Under Preferences > Advanced, I verified that it saw the hard drive, a setting that came over from my first MacBook Pro, and it was putting songs there that I added to my music library. Everything looked EXACTLY as it did on my first first MacBook Pro.

The first time I tried to sync my phone, it would beep when I docked it up to the computer but not show up in iTunes. I went through the things I previously described, such as updating OS X and iTunes, uninstalling and reinstalling, removing old iPhone settings, etc.

The iPhone synced fine for a week on the second MacBook Pro. What I don't get is why it suddenly is back to not being seen by iTunes.