iPhone 4 not as snappy as we thought?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike84, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

For isntance, take iBooks. On the 3G, iBooks was just not working at all. It was so freaking slow, there was no use in having the app. Take the iPhone 4, however, and you get major improvements, but sometimes it lags. For example, if you switch to landscape mode, it takes a while to actually do the switch on the screen and then if you go back to the iphone being vertical it takes a few seconds to realize you've switched.

Anyone else notice this?

2. ianray macrumors 6502

I have noticed similar behaviour with my 3GS on iOS 4. It seems that iOS 4 has plenty of room for optimization and improvement. :confused:

3. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems that iOS4 will have some improvements in the near future. Another issue I have noticed with the iPhone 4 is that the reception is a lot worse than the 3G. I am in the same location, but there are less bars.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Does the .003 seconds really bother you that much, will you not be happy until Apple optimizes the OS so that it will rotate at exactly .001 seconds or faster?

nit picking at its best.

5. sleyeu macrumors 6502

i takes more like 3 seconds...

and the books take a while to load up...

6. jman240 macrumors 6502a

iBooks is a slow pos on the iphone. Not the same experience on the iPad. I think it was rushed or poorly ported or something isn't right.

I was actually very surprised by how poorly it performed. I did a reboot and cleared all the apps from the quick launcher (though that shouldnt matter) and rebooted again so that iBooks was the only app the phone had been "running" recently and it still sucked the life out of the phone.

7. dhjapple89 macrumors member

It's not that you have less reception, it that there is a bug in the way the bars appear on the iPhone 4 and that it isn't saying what you are really getting. Apple told Walt Mossberg a fix is on its way.

Walt Mossberg:

SOURCE: New iPhone Keeps Apple Top of Class

8. ianray macrumors 6502

Performance has been ok (3GS) but there have been a couple of odd display artifacts when switching from books to bookshelf (and from PDFs to bookshelf). The display is briefly black, with a heavily distorted partial image in the upper half. Some kind of broken transition effect?

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just tested rotation speed on my iPhone 3GS. Using a video camera I record myself rotating my iPhone from landscape to portrait 10 times (rotating to the left, rotating to the right) and then I reviewed the tape with a stopwatch and got a average of 1.7 seconds in safari and iBooks. (I think thats fast enough)

if your phone is going any slower, you might want to restore your phone (not from a back-up).