Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Hi,
I've been experiencing a problem all morning with my iPhone 4. I am on 4.0.1 software and my phone shows that I have 4 or 5 bars contantly and has 3G service. However it will not let me send or recieve any texts, any calls or check my email. An error message never pops up either for the email it just keeps saying connecting. I have turned my phone off multiple times and I still continue to have this error.

Could this be a hardware or software issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Reset your network settings.
If still nothing then call up AT&T to see if everything is ok on their end and maybe try a restore.

I've tried reseting the network settings. It worked for about 2 minutes and now its back to the same problem again.

I set up an appointment with apple but is it just an AT&T problem?

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
This may not help since you reset your network settings, but yesterday my iPhone 4 was doing the same thing, wouldn't make calls, no texts, no data in or out whatsoever. Resets weren't doing anything.. I took the sim card out and put it back in and everything started working again. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what will hah.

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Well I did do a restore but it still wasn't acting properly so I took it into the apple store. I saved a few pictures to the phone I had taken throughout the day showing my issue. He ran a few tests including the speed test app and it turned out my download speed was over 1000 kb less then his. Because of that they decided that it was hardware and replaced my phone and now it seems great. So if you had this error too you may want to take it in.

I appreciate your suggestions and help

guitardave62000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
So turns out today I have the SAME exact issue with the new one haha. Leads me to believe it could be the sim card now

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
This same problem is happening to my phone and my wife's phone. We are in Rhode Island. I actually got a new sim for my wife's phone. It did not help. Switch to just edge and it works fine. Turn on 3G and no internet access. when at&t opens i'll call them or hopefully it will just be fixed when I wake up.

gouda272

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
UPDATE: so around 11:00 i was still experiencing the problem. Called apple support. Normal run around things to do. While I was on the phone with him I said hold on let me check my email and low and behold it was working, as well as any other internet program. I think my wife's is working also.

If it stops working again, i will be deleting everything and setting up as a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.