iPhone 4 now in Dubai airport

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
New iPhone 4 now in Dubai airport for .......................US$2250
They are nuts
I want a new factory unlocked iPhone 4 but not at that crazy price.
Any ideas???

randystand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
I was in Dubai airport on Tuesday coming home and noticed that. Works out at £1,200. Crazy, it's £499 direct from Apple in the UK. The iPad was also overpriced in the airport at £499 for the wifi 16gb when its £429 in the UK.

Although in Dubai there is this place called Dragonmart where all Chinese traders from around the world sell their stuff. Most of it is tat, Ie- fake iPhones but they had the real iPad in there and were selling for £300. £120 saving if your from the UK.

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
I was in Dubai airport on Tuesday coming home and noticed that. Works out at £1,200. Crazy, it's £499 direct from Apple in the UK. The iPad was also overpriced in the airport at £499 for the wifi 16gb when its £429 in the UK.

Although in Dubai there is this place called Dragonmart where all Chinese traders from around the world sell their stuff. Most of it is tat, Ie- fake iPhones but they had the real iPad in there and were selling for £300. £120 saving if your from the UK.
Can you buy them in the UK factory unlocked????

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009

Can you buy the factory unlocked in the UK??

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
New iPhone 4 now in Dubai airport for .......................US$2250
They are nuts
I want a new factory unlocked iPhone 4 but not at that crazy price.
Any ideas???

Wow that's a rip off though I expect people can afford those types of money in Dubai.

gwinanthony1985

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2010

it just costs £40 in China.

AJ.G

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Beijing.
it just costs £40 in China.
what r u talking abt?
ive been in china like 3 yrs.. and evrey single apple product is overpriced compared to US prices,

the 16GB wifi cheapest is at 5000 RMB compared to 499 USD which is 3500 RMB. the iphone is like 7000RMB which is 3 times the price of an iphone in the US.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Yeah, I live in Dubai for 3 months of the year and was there earlier... Just when the iPad came out, the WiFi version started at around $1100 and then I saw the price drop $300-400 in just over 2 weeks. Then the 3G came out, and immediately they got them, starting at around $1200.
I think the same thing will happen with the iPhone 4. Dubai somehow is able to sell the iPhone in retail stores and even at the Duty Free. Saw the 3G and 3Gs in stores unofficially for over a year.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010

There is no way that you would find a GENUINE Apple product cheaper than Apple themselves sell it at. So that £300 iPad is probably a very good fake. The Chinese dealers sell similar looking stuff because its fake - thats why they can getaway with those prices. Unless ppl are stealing stock from Apples factories, there is no way to buy Apple stuff cheaper than Apple sell themselves. In places like Dubai where lots of people have more money than sense, you could easily buy an iPad at Apple prices and sell it there for twice as much, so it makes no sense to sell it for £300 if it was the real deal.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Are Blackberries still banned/restricted in Dubai? The rulers didn't like the idea of people sending texts and emails that they couldn't monitor, so they imposed some really nasty restrictions on Blackberries, maybe even banning them.

Your iPhone is fine - get my logic?

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Are Blackberries still banned/restricted in Dubai? The rulers didn't like the idea of people sending texts and emails that they couldn't monitor, so they imposed some really nasty restrictions on Blackberries, maybe even banning them.

Your iPhone is fine - get my logic?
BlackBerries are still working in Dubai- the restriction kicks in on October 11. However, I think Dubai/RIM will come to terms and doubt it will be banned. I think Saudi figured it out as their ban was to start this month and got worked out.

Either way the iPhone is fine... my brother and family friends who live here were so worried (Dubai has a great roaming package for BB - $80 unlimited data worldwide- I have family who lives in Europe that just has a BB from Dubai and uses it for work when they travel) and told me to get ready to buy and mail them unlocked iPhones from Canada as the iPhone is way more expensive here.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If you want an officially unlocked iPhone in a country where Apple don't sell 'em, you're gonna be payin' a premium.

roozbehk

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
If you want an officially unlocked iPhone in a country where Apple don't sell 'em, you're gonna be payin' a premium.
yes. thats the hard real truth.
im living in iran. 1 week after releasing iphone in us, iphone 4 appears in iran market. but .... but... but...
price for iphone lock 16 was : 2000$ :confused::confused::confused:
i repeat: just for lock , not unlock.
but now it is near 1200$ ( unlock factory ) .

iPhonePhreak

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Toronto
what r u talking abt?
ive been in china like 3 yrs.. and evrey single apple product is overpriced compared to US prices,

the 16GB wifi cheapest is at 5000 RMB compared to 499 USD which is 3500 RMB. the iphone is like 7000RMB which is 3 times the price of an iphone in the US.
I think he was talking about knockoffs

nukztar

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Iphone unlocked in lots of places

Its possible to buy the iphone unlocked in a lot of places. The UK is relatively expensive due to their high VAT. Singapore however is quite cheap directly from the apple store.

Under 800USD for a 32G unlocked.

personally since i travel a lot for work and require local sims everywhere i go, i always buy unlocked phones. You can buy the Iphone factory unlocked directly from apple in the following countries:

* Australia
* Belgium
* Czech Republic
* Greece
* Hong Kong
* Italy
* Luxemburg
* Macau
* Malaysia
* New Zealand
* Russia
* Saudi Arabia
* Singapore
* Slovakia
* South Africa
* Taiwan
* Thailand
* Turkey
* United Arab Emirates

durawraps

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
can't blame them, the Arabs have too much money to throw around. and if you price the ip4 too cheap, they won't buy it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.