iPhone 4 Official Unlock on iOS 5 Beta3?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by craig1410, Jul 18, 2011.

1. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

Firstly, this is about an official , end of contract, unlock not to do with Jailbreaking etc. I tried to make that clear in the title but sorry if you were misled.

I am with Tesco Mobile in the UK and my iPhone 4 is now out of contract. I asked Tesco to unlock my phone and they have done so free of charge. I have received a text saying that my phone is unlocked and to insert my new carrier's sim card and sync with iTunes. All good... I've got a SIM card from 'Three' and it should be activated by tomorrow so I can give it a try then. I delayed activation on my Three contract until my unlock came through as I was told it could be up to 28 days. It was only 5 days in the end.

My question comes from the fact I am running iOS 5 Beta 3 and like some other people, I am getting an error when I sync my phone. The error is:

"iTunes could not check for an update to the carrier settings for your iPhone. An unknown error occurred (1659)."

I'm worried, perhaps prematurely as I've not tried it yet, that this will prevent the unlock from being recognised and wondered if anyone else out there has any experience of this? Has anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) unlocked an iPhone 4 while running iOS 5 Beta 3?

Thanks for reading,
    Craig.

2. DMH3006 macrumors regular

install 4.3.4,downlaod carrier settings,install iOS5b3

3. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    Thanks for that, yes that's an option assuming I can downgrade from iTunes 10.5 Beta 3 and iOS 5 Beta 3 to complete the installation. I think I'll try the unlock tomorrow before I do this though as it might work although I suspect it won't.

I'll update the thread with my outcome anyway.

Thanks again,
    Craig.

4. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Swapping the simcards so you use the one from "3" should be enough. After swapping, connect your iPhone to iTunes.