iPhone 4 Oleophobic screen wear

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheOne888, Jul 12, 2010.

1. TheOne888 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Is anyone having problems with the oleophobic screen coating on the iPhone 4?

I've been playing flick football and now have a semi permanent smudge through the middle of the screen.

It's wipeable (after a good wipe) but appears again as soon as it's touched.

2. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

3. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Unless you have acetone (a powerful solvent frequently found in nail polish remover) on your fingers, I'd say that is one of the better reasons to make a trip to a Genius bar somewhere. Often wondered how that coating would stand up to adhesives and other screen protector materials

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a coating and it will wear off.

I had a solitaire game on my 3Gs that I played while on the subway. I noticed after a period of time where I'd hit the cards, there were wear marks.

playing some games, or doing some actions over and over will cause the coating to wear off. irregardless, it will wear off over time anyways. Given the newness of the iPhone 4, I'd take it to the apple store to get it replaced. You may have to wait though, since they don't have any in stock.

I recommend using ghost armor or some other screen protector.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Try cleaning your screen with a screen wipe. Grease make a nasty smudge that just wiping with your tshirt dosnt always get off.

6. TheOne888 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply guys.

Have had to take my phone back once already (battery problem) so have only had my current one for about 10 days. Understand it'll wear but not this quickly!!

Will make an appointment at the genius bar. Will let you know how it goes.

7. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

My 3GS oleophobic coating wore off after about 5-6 months of use... no case or screen protectors obviously... can't stand them... but this is the price to pay...

just means it will take a few extra wipes to clear the face grease... no worries :D

8. Tombourn62 macrumors newbie

TheOne88. I have the same problem and I don't play games with mine. And it's only in the center. The smudged 1 1/2 in by an inch in the middle will come off with massive amounts of elbow grease. While the rest of the screen is clean.

Let us know if genius bar helped.

9. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I have a year old 3GS. The irony is that now the coating has worn off, it's worse for fingerprints than any of the "non-oleophobic" screens ever were.

10. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

that smudge happened to the trackpad of my macbook pro which I recently sold.. I didn't remember it being there but a week later it appeared, no clue how. Maybe you had some kind of chemical/residue on your hand

11. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

No proplems yet, but remember seeing a 3GS that had a real nice scuff from flycasting.