iPhone 4 on AT&T has full bars but nothing goes thru

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Really fed up right now with the connection in my office. My phone is showing full coverage but no data goes through. I can get emails but Facebook app or Twitter just keeps trying to update but can't. This is also prob why my phone gets horrible battery life too. Anyone else get this?

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Classic AT&T.

I would try restarting your apps, or possibly rebooting your phone. I may be an internal issue.

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Classic AT&T.

I would try restarting your apps, or possibly rebooting your phone. I may be an internal issue.
I get this sometimes on the Rogers network here in Canada too. Sometimes it's just because there are too many people in the area causing too much network congestion.

An easier/faster way to try and get it working again is to turn on airplane mode then turn it back off. Better than a full reboot.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I get this sometimes on the Rogers network here in Canada too. Sometimes it's just because there are too many people in the area causing too much network congestion.

An easier/faster way to try and get it working again is to turn on airplane mode then turn it back off. Better than a full reboot.
Most of the time if 3g seems busy I will manually drop to edge which always works.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
AT&T network can get spotty at times. I've run into instances where the phone would work fine but 3G, although it shows that it does have connection, sometimes doesn't go through. I do the Airplane Mode trick or reboot the phone - usually works. If it doesn't...well, chances are the network itself is having difficulties.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Really fed up right now with the connection in my office. My phone is showing full coverage but no data goes through. I can get emails but Facebook app or Twitter just keeps trying to update but can't. This is also prob why my phone gets horrible battery life too. Anyone else get this?
How long has this been happening. Is the service only bad at your office?

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
It's just bad all around downtown Chicago. What's really strange is that these problems only started happening once I updated to iOS5. Maybe it also has something to do with the release of 4S and more people clogging up the network.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
It's just bad all around downtown Chicago. What's really strange is that these problems only started happening once I updated to iOS5. Maybe it also has something to do with the release of 4S and more people clogging up the network.
Have other people in the office experienced the same issues you have?

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
This is usually the result of congestion in big cities during business hours. Huge pain in NYC as well.

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
This is usually the result of congestion in big cities during business hours. Huge pain in NYC as well.
Yea, I think I might just have to chalk it up to that. It's really unfortunate tho, cause an iPhone is just a regular flip-phone without data. I guess you can still play some games without data. Really annoying not being able to use your phone except calls and texts, during the day.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
So it has full bars meaning you are on wifi? Or does it have a 3G? Maybe your wifi network needs to be reset?:confused:

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I have the exact same issue. It has to be an OS issue? I had my 4 in Downtown LA with never an issue. Now with the 4s, I have full bars and nothing goes through either. I know that is why I have horrible battery life. This has been a problem for me since I got it. It's been a month still the same issue. I hope the next update will fix this.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have this issue in Midtown Manhattan, usually between normal business hours. When traffic winds down in the evenings, the 3G connection starts working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.