iPhone 4 on AT&T purchase dec.2010

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vogelhausdesign, Dec 1, 2010.

1. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Hey everyone , it's been since the 3G launch since I've payed any attention to the iPhone upgrades and releases. I stopped paying my AT&T bill several months ago And my account was closed. Long story short, I'm debating weather or not to buy an iPhone 4 now, re-contract for 2 years with AT&T or to buy a pay as you go cheap phone and hop on verizon when it's available.

I don't know when that would be for one, two, is there any way to use my iPhone without a contract for phone service only without data?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use your iphone 3G with any AT&T prepaid sim.
    That wont require the mandatory data like the postpaid accounts.

3. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

How does that work exactly? I'll just have whatever number is programmer into the sim? How much are they, and is there any hidden fees involved? Such as overage charges, or data charges? I really just need like 400 minutes a month without any contract or bs for as cheap as possible

Edit: how long is the ballpark for iPhone on verizon. That's why I'm avoiding a contract and only wanting the bare essentials from my iPhone currently

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Exactly what AppleJuiced said. Since you already have an iPhone and you would not be buying an hardware from AT&T, they won't require to agree to a contract.

Verizon is rumored to announce getting the iPhone 4 in January. But rumors are rumors.

5. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Would be nice if it really was January for the release but I'm think late mid 2011 from what I've read today on the front page.

You guys are great, one more question. What's to stop me' from finding a cheaper carrier for the sim.. Like tmobile or something, does that work? Since I'm just using the phone/cell service with no data

Also can anyone tell me' what happens if you go over your sim minutes, any bs associated with pay as you go?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you were to get T-Mobile (AT&T and T-Mobile only choices), you'd have to unlock your iPhone.

Mid 2011 would make more sense for a Verizon iPhone. But who knows. It would piss off a lot of Verizon customers get the iPhone 4 and when June/July (we) AT&T customers get the iPhone 5.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never used prepaid but I believe once you run out of minutes you just cant make any more calls. You have to recharge it, thats all.
    If you want to get it work with Tmobile you will have to jailbreak and unlock it and install ultrasnow from cydia.
    You will get a new number with the prepaid sim and you can go to any AT&t store and have them give you a prepaid sim with whatever plan, minutes etc.. you decide to get.
    About the verizon rumor noone know for sure yet, we just gotta wait and see how it goes.

8. vogelhausdesign thread starter macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

I'm unlocked and JB'd already, now I guess I should choose which is cheaper I guess. thanks for the help and advice guys, hopefull I'll only be doing this pre-paid stuff for a few months then I'll have a shinny new iPhone 5 on a network that can handle it.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No problem:D