Iphone 4 on ios 4.0 just failed randomly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kernowiphone, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kernowiphone macrumors newbie

Hi there, hoping someone may be able to help.
    I have an iphone 4 16gb, bought july 2010, was jailbroken using jailbreakme.com august 2010, been all good ever since.
    had a failed install on facebook app yesterday, wouldn't install so turned off phone, no response so did a reset using power and home button, but then phone just would not respond, just froze on apple logo.

anyway, while looking for what to do on my laptop, it came back to life randomly after 20 odd minutes of turning off then back on and freezing at apple logo, like in a loop.

Today it turned off, went to restart, did same freezing thing but not in a loop anymore, now its changed to the recovery logo i think, its the itunes logo with a usb cable underneath and simply will not do anything.

I have a backup in itunes from the start of the month, but everytime itunes says it needs to restore the device, it talks of wiping it completely and installing the latest firmware, which i don't want obviously because my backup wouldn't then work as it was jailbroken and on 4.0 when i backed it up.

I;m absolutely gutted as i have so much stuff on there i really don't want to lose but have no idea how to sort it. It seems to be turning off and back on by itself on this 'recovery screen' thing (the screen with usb cable and itunes logo), but simply turns off, back on and shows the same thing.

Any suggestions what i can do, from what i have read, i don't think i have saved my SHSH things, not that i know what they are, i do remember cydia saying something about them before but i didn't know what it was so left it alone.

I really, really can't stress how much i'd appreciate some help, if someone can give me advice that works, i swear to god i'd paypal you some £££ because i'm so lost and stressed with what to do, just want my phone back as it was 48hours ago!

Thanks so much for reading

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

What SHSHs do you have? iOS 4.0, 4.2.1? Use TinyUmbrella to check.

Have you tried kicking it out of Recovery Mode using TinyUmbrella( http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ )?
    Or Fix Recovery?

As you might have realized, it's not very smart to store your info only on the iPhone and through backups. Use 3rd party programs to store your info with.

3. kernowiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply, yep, tried both fix recovery and tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, neither worked. Tinyumbrella when clicking exit recovery would shut the phone down, it restarted and was back in recovery mode, the log simply stated that device was disconnected then reconnected.
    and Fix recovery didn't work either but that actually made the phone restart with a white screen etc, but then, again it returned to recovery mode.

Am i right in thinking if i recover it through itunes (if thats even possible) it will end up with ios 5 on it and no pictures, apps or anything else?
    And also am i right in thinking i will not be able to load my messages or contacts etc back on to it as the backup in itunes is an older version?

thanks again for replying

4. kernowiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Also i have no saved SHSHs according to tiny umbrella, to be honest i had/have no idea what they are :(

5. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

6. kernowiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for that, tried to use ifaith but when pluggin my phone in or entering edic manually, it said no SHSH blobs available.

Just thinking, if i were to download 4.0.1 IPSW file (the firmware i was still using up until this happened), the hold shift when clicking restore (im using a PC so this enables manual selection of restore file), would i then be able to restore to 4.0.1?

Or do i need an SHSH blob also to do that? As from what i understand now, the SHSH blob tells itunes that the IPSW its trying to restore to (in this case 4.0.1) is the latest version, when in reality it isn't. Is this correct?

If so, can an SHSH blob not be simply downloaded or sent from somebody? Or are they specific to my handset or something?

In my head it seems logicial that if i download a 4.0.1 IPSW and SHSH blob that i can manually restore through itunes to that firmware? then apply my backup that i have in itunes and i will be operational again?

The problem i have is i unlocked the phone for use with any network, and currently i use a pre pay sim card from a different network to that which the phone was originally locked, so if i do restore to ios 5, i wont be able to use the phone as the sim card wouldn't register. So i need to go back to my previous firmware in order to use the phone, or any previous firmware that may be jailbroken.

Its a real dilemma i am in, but again, thanks very much for all your help so far, its very much appreciated. :)

7. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Take a look at iFaith once more, and read the guide.

Normally you need a SHSH for that ipsw you are restoring to. You want to restore to 4.0.1, so you need the SHSH for iOS 4.0.1.

But afaik with iFaith you make an already signed ipsw to use in iTunes.

If you just update to iOS 5.0 or the upcoming 5.0.1, your iPhone's baseband will be updated and therefore you will not be able to unlock. This means that it will only work with the carrier you bought the iPhone from. If it's from AT&T, it will only work with AT&T after you've updated to iOS 5.0.

8. kernowiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

I may be being stupid but i can't see how to operate ifaith without firstly having an SHSH to use to create the signed IPSW. Tinyumbrella says i was too late and didn't save one previously

9. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

"If you EVER restored a stock or custom IPSW of any firmware on your iDevice and forgot to save SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella, you can still save using iFaith Dump SHSH Blobs option."

http://ih8sn0w.com/

Tried that?