iPhone 4: on latest Gold Master. Some questions...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by saquib, Nov 18, 2010.

1. saquib macrumors newbie

Hi All

Some advise please :)

Bought an iPhone last night, and on checking version of iOS installed it appears to be running the latest Gold Master release:

Version: 4.2 (8c134)
    Modem: 03.10.01

Now the questions:

1 - will this expire at some point? Is the date known?
    2 - is it possible to Jailbreak this version?
    3 - can I revert to an official iOS release (note don't have access to a Mac, but I do have the latest iTunes installed - downloaded last night).

Thanks.

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

1. no it is exactly the same as the version downloaded when you press update in iTunes
    2. no you cannot jailbreak 4.2 yet, wait until you hear from the dev team for news about that.
    3. you can downgrade to 4.1 if you download the ispw firmware file and hold shift whilst pressing restore in itunes then selecting the downloaded 4.1 ispw file. I am not sure if this will also downgrade your baseband, I have a feeling it will (good thing)

Did you buy it from apple with that installed or have you bought it 2nd hand? Just because I didn't think apple were shipping new phones with 4.2 yet.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

1. No But 4.2 was delayed because they found some issues in 4.2 gold such as WIFI so 4.2 is not released yet
    2. yes but it 4.2 GM is not supported at this time
    3 do you mean you don't have access to any computer here is a tutorial for downgrading http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-ios-4.2-to-4.1-4.0.2-4.0.1-on-iphone-4-3gs-3g-and-ipad-guide/ baseband would be the toughest problem. you have some work to do. on other hand 4.2 should be out prettysoon then a couple weeks after JB should be fine. it's just not supported yet in Cydia.

4. nebo1ss, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you do a standard restore in itunes, no tiny umbrella, no Cydia you will get back to 4.1 and 2.10 baseband because that is what apple is signing.

However, you must make sure your host file has not been modified. Either take a look at it or type ping gs.apple.com from a terminal Window.

You want to see 127.0.0.x

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1) No it won't expired.
    2) Yes, the GM is Jailbreakable however Cydia is not compatible with it yet, so even when you can JB, you can really install anything.
    3)Yes, you can just hook it up to itunes and press, restore, it will bring you back to the most current public release 4.1

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apple doesn't put GM firmware on phones it sells.

7. saquib thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, phone was bought used and not from Apple, hence the GM install.

Got back to 4.1 - now deciding is limera1n is the easiest way to JB ?

8. ryanrich macrumors regular

Yeah I used Limera1n and had no issues at all, pretty straight forward...