iPhone 4 on o2 UK - some help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emkwan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Hey guys.

Got a bit of a dilemma. I'm currently on apples priority list waiting for an iphone4 which I originally wanted to get with three mobile. Think there tariffs and speeds seemed best for the iPhone.

However I'm an impatient guy and guess I can't wait holding out for three weeks. I checked with o2 and they currently have stock in place. I'm a liittle worried about 2 issues which I wanted some existing iphone4 users with o2 to maybe help and advise.

1- what kind of speeds are you getiing for data?
    2- how much data are u currently using? I.e. Is the 500mb enough allowance?

Many thanks in advance.

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

1) 3G speeds are only a little slower than my wifi ( I get about 5mbps wifi)

2) For me, no.

3. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Thanks dude. So how r u dealing with point 2?

I'v just spoken to o2 and amazed really. I'm not impressed with their iphone tariff at all. Hmmmm I just don't knw.

4. Marky macrumors regular

Hi

As previous poster said I get really good online speeds.

Point two will really depend on how heavy a data user you are likely to be.

I use the internet via 3g on my iPhone on the train to work every day (20 mins) at break times ( 2 x 15 min breaks) and at lunchtime (approximate 40 mins use browsing out of a 60 minute lunch break). Again on the way home (20 mins).

Throughout the day approx 7 emails received and about 2 sent, all over 3G as no wifi at work.

Until I got my iPad approx a month ago, I would also regularly use it for web browsing in the evening - but this would be over wifi.

When o2 announced the 500mb capping I was concerned but went into my data usage history added together the upload and download stats and divided by the time period since i'd last re-set it (just over 8months).

I'd used on average 382 mbs a month.

This can only help as a basic illustration as different websites will have different data loads depending on how graphic they are and your usage may vary considerably but hopefully this helps give you an idea.

For me I stopped worrying about it as for my usage I was clearly well within the 500mbs.

Regards
    Mark

5. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Gosh lol thanks for the reply such detail :) I'm concerned really because tbh I want to be able to use data with ought having to worry unnecessary.

Also for the price you pay and the tariff, I don't it's worth it any longer. Three mobile would be my first choice now. Followed by orange.

6. mikey4020 macrumors regular

I'm finding the download speed to be about 1-2 Mbps and my upload speed is about the same in the Glasgow area. My data usage has increased considerably since I got my iPhone 4 as I'm using it more for general browsing because I find it much faster than my 3G was. For example my monthly allowance resets on Thursday and so far I've used 572MB. I kept my existing simplicity contract so I'm unlimited but onn my 3G I never went over 300MB.

7. Marky macrumors regular

Might be worth getting a cheap no contract sim from 02 and from 3, sticking it in your existing phone, and trialling them both for a few days and see how they are for speed and reception in your area.

Just go in tell them your thinking of sign a nice fat contract but want to trial their service with your existing phone first, a mate did this with, o2, orange and voda, he decided on orange as where he was it gave him the best coverage etc
    Where I am o2 is really good so I stayed with them when I upgraded to iPhone4.

8. marky-gee macrumors newbie

Make sure your happy with the prospect of very poor 3G coverage from o2, coming from personal experience it's pants basically, fast.... But remember if you even consider leaving the city limits or town then your basically on GPRS(which is not to slow compared to some of the other networks GPRS service)

I'm finding orange to be a much much better choice(I travel all over the uk everyday so can see the difference)

9. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Thanks for that. I'v been with o2 for over two years with my blackberry bold. I'v noticed how bad the 3G has been. I'v got my dad using the iPhone 3GS and the same is true with him. We are not in the middle of some sticks either... Leicester city so its frustrating.

The other issue and dilemma I have is my wife wants an iPhone too, and I want to arrange a sim only package for her. O2 will no longer do free o2 - o2 calls hence it's no longer viable for us. My wife doesn't use very many minutes outside of calling me so we a re looking for really a cheap sim only plan.

Orange doesn't seem to have a good one ATM so that's bum!

Three in our area has been excellent. My younger brother has it and uv been shocked at how fast and reliable the networks become.

So...this is the dilemma lol

10. Marky macrumors regular

To be honest I think you've answered your own question, two people you know, your father and yourself are currently with o2 and not getting good 3G coverage, conversely the one on Three is........

It's a right royal pain waiting but given what you've said about coverage from o2 and Three in your area, I'd go with Three.

Regards
    Mark

11. Orbane macrumors member

Just thought I'd chime in on the O2 front.

For me, when I have full 3g Signal my speed is about the same as others have mentioned; usually between 4-5Mbps download, and a surprising 1.5Mbps upload (actually faster than my home broadband connection, hah). As for data usage, mine has certainly gone up since I've gotten my iP-4, as I came from a 3G and more often that not it was just too slow to warrant bringing out for quick browsing. However, this month I've still only used 250MB, so am well within the limit.

I had a look over previous months bills before I signed up for the new contract and found that at my highest month, I managed to use 482MB, and that was when my home internet was out, so I was using it for tethering (Old jailbreak tethering days...how I miss them).

Obviously it differs a lot per person, but i'd say for the average user 500MB is easily enough. So long as you don't stream things or watch lots of YouTube over 3G, you should be fine!

Good luck finding the right carrier & contract for you :)

12. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Thanks. Very mixed reviews on threads and even my Twitter followers

13. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Thanks for the input. Yes it's interesting as so many different input onnthe data issue. I mean I'm always around wifi too. But still want the ability to be not have to be counting my mb everynmonth. I'm a youtuber also so it's important for me to be able to resopund quickly.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Apparently, and I don't have verification on this but I hear Three censor their Mobile Internet data... not sure how broad the censor is, but my girlfriend is on Orange, and they do censor, and she can't get on a lot of blogs and stuff.

On o2 however I thin there's more of an anything goes attitude.

15. Richard Peters macrumors regular

Richard Peters

Didn't read the rest of the thread but I've done a few speed tests and get around 2.8mbps on 3G at work (which gives me 4 or 5 bars reception).

16. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Yeh i'v read that somewhere else. Also I heard from few people three do free tethering which is excellent.

17. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

Which network that with mate

18. iimac macrumors member

btw you can only get a iphone from o2 if your a upgrading customer

19. Richard Peters macrumors regular

Richard Peters

O2 buddy :)

20. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I think it depends on what part of the country you're in...

When I moved to London o2 was unusable. I live in Canary Wharf and my phone may have had full reception but 3G was slower then dial up. That was the case across most of London. There were a few areas where I got up to 1mbps.

I switched to Orange recently and their 3G network is superb. About triple the speed of o2 and I find their coverage to be top notch.

In saying that, when I was living in Birmingham, I had zero issues with o2 and I was actually quite happy with them.

21. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

I noticed exactly the same. I was living in Victoria central London for few years and the 3G speeds were atrocious. Lol

22. emkwan thread starter macrumors regular

emkwan

My local o2 store said I'd be able to open a new contract so theybmust be dealing with new customers now.