iPhone 4 on T-Mobile USA - worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidnzs, Jul 19, 2010.

1. davidnzs macrumors newbie

Any of you guys know what the advantages of having iPhone 4 on T-Mobile USA would be? I heard that it wouldn’t support 3G due to radio frequency characteristics, but would that be a dealbreaker (Is EDGE really that slow?)?

The thing that attracts me about T-Mobile is that they DO offer unlimited data and they're more affordable than AT&T, as I'm sure many of you know.

2. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

I personally do not use the carrier data that much as I'm usually on wifi with my phone at home or at work. However, one time where I do end up using it quite a bit is when I am using Google maps to look up directions while driving.

At that point, having the phone on Edge only sure does take a while. Other than that, I don't really mind using Edge much and on my 3GS would often switch to it instead of 3G because I didn't notice any difference in call quality and it would let me stretch my battery out to a lot longer than if it was on 3G all day.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No visual voicemail or 3G data.
    And you might have problems with unlocking and JB if you're not 100% sure on whats going on you could be left out if you update to official firmware thru itunes. You gotta keep playing the cat and mouse game.
    For me the slow 2G data kills it.
    You got a nice and fast iphone and it takes 2 minutes to load a page or download an email attachment :)

4. dangson macrumors newbie

I used a 3GS on T-Mobile for a year and thought it was fine. The jailbreaking and unlocking part is a hassle, but if you don't care about the latest iOS updates, you'll be fine. At the moment there's no jailbreak or unlock for the iPhone 4, though. Also, jailbreaks and unlocks aren't perfect so things like the Youtube app, push notifications, and MMS might break.

And even though T-Mobile offers unlimited data, Edge is so slow that I doubt you'll ever want to use it that much.

For the iPhone 4, I caved in and switched to AT&T. So far I've been pretty happy. Service is pretty good around where I live and I don't have to bother with all this jailbreaking business.