iPhone 4 on TMO USA?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by legaleye3000, Jun 7, 2010.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

They just announced quad band utms/hsdpa... does that include tmobile usa's 1700mhz support? Thanks

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

They added 900mhz. So no T-Mobile 3G support.

3. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

I was bummed as well. I am soooo getting a droid this summer. maybe the garmin nuvi or the Samsung Galaxy S... EFF ATT and their exclusivity.

Apple losing out on a ton of US customers, which is sad since they are an American company. Then again their stuff is made in China, so does it even matter?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that 900 MHz is used in more places than 1700, so it makes sense to add 900 first. Pentaband chipsets are still rare; I only know of one phone with pentaband support (Nokia N8) but expect that it will eventually become commonplace.

I know that it's frustrating for T-Mobile users, but you can still use Wi-Fi and GSM, right?

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

GSM will be the way to go, however, the new micro-SIM card will be an issue. I don't believe Tmo is offering that yet.

The specs on the new iPhone look amazing, but I am not leaving TMo. So I guess I will have to see what new Droid phones make it over to TMo to upgrade later this year. :eek:

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oh, I missed that (the "tech specs" page on Apple's site doesn't mention SIMs at all). Hmm. I've heard that you can cut big SIMs down to size, although whether that's permitted depends on T-Mobile's rules (eg. here in NZ my SIM is technically still owned by my operator, and I'm just borrowing it).

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Hmmm, I am not as familiar with the design of the new ones. I guess if they are simply more plastic around the electronic piece, that might be possible. We have to do some more research here!

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

If you cut your regular SIM card around the gold contacts, everything will work fine. You can also buy adapters so you can put your new micro-SIM into an older phone.

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The iphone has a pentaband chip but the "other" band is 800 - so still no hope for t-mobile.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct. The iPhone 4 can still be used on tmobile if jb and unlocked.
    Only 2G data though.

11. SaaGua macrumors member

So is there no option for us T-mobile users except to cut the sim card?
    I wish there were blank micro sim cards we can buy to copy our current sim card.

I don't want to risk cutting my sim card...

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced