Iphone 4 on Unlimited Blackberry Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlr, Jun 13, 2010.

1. nlr macrumors 6502

I have a unlimited data plan on Blackberry and I was wondering would it work straight in my iphone 4 with everything working?

2. rtabdo macrumors 6502

According to AT&T's video, you can take any existing unlimited plan with you to an iPhone 4

3. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mrochester macrumors 65816

No it wouldn't. Blackberry data goes through the Blackberry servers. Any data that you outside of this (I.e., on any device other than a Blackberry) would be charged at the standard per MB rate.

5. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure?

I have unlimited usage so would I get charged?

6. stefc93 macrumors regular

I just went into my local AT&T store 2 days ago and some guy (I think the he was the manager) said that my unlimited BlackBerry plan wouldn't work with the iPhone 4 since iPhones use a different set-up/system (no servers). He said that if I were buying another BlackBerry it would work. So looks like I'll end up getting the 2GB data plan and the 200 text plan.

That's also another stupid thing. When I had the original iPhone, it cost me $20 a month for data AND it also included 200 texts. Now I have to pay $5 extra a month for 200 texts.

7. mrochester macrumors 65816

Well I think that's correct. I believe it can depend on what type of package you've bought.

8. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

I don't think he's completely right,

The BlackBerry uses BIS which is different to say the least, which enables the Emails etc. I doubt that Data will be charged extra, It will be the same and should work on an iPhone.

9. Ipadq macrumors member

Interesting. An AT&T representative told me my blackberry unlimited data plan can be grandfathered and used for an iPhone 4. You might want to call and ask. I am going to ask again.

10. stefc93 macrumors regular

Really? I guess I'll just find out when I go to buy the iPhone.

I mean, I have no problem getting the 2GB data plan since I don't come anywhere even near 1GB of data a month. And it's $5 cheaper if I don't end up getting the $5 texting plan.:D

11. Lenxal macrumors regular

i win

As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian. So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current Smartphone data unlimited plan.

For more information on the New Smartphone Data Plans, check it out here.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Clarification-on-the-New-Smartphone-Data-Plans/td-p/1938734

12. stefc93 macrumors regular

What do you want? A trophy?:rolleyes:

13. Lenxal macrumors regular

14. Ipadq macrumors member

Yes you do! Thanks for digging that up.

15. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

16. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

17. Lenxal macrumors regular

About the UK.. I'm pretty sure it would be the same.. but you should call them up to check up on that..
    and they know that but their wondering if that they have the unlimited Blackberry data plan, can they switch to the iPhone and keep the unlimited data plan.

18. chopples macrumors newbie

not sure whether it would work elsewhere in the world but i can confirm it works with vodafone uk.

i am on o2 and upgrading from a 3gs. the wife is on vodafone with a 9700 and is getting my 3gs (it is unlocked). She has been testing it for the last few days with no probs at all, (her BIS plan still running).

I have also spoke to vodafone and they have also told me that i can remove the BIS as its not needed and get put onto an iphone tariff at no cost and also no new contract. They also gave me the unlock code for the bold so its easier to sell.

hope this helps

cheers

19. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this, I just assumed if I rang them and let them know they would remove my unlimited.

20. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

I preordered my iphone 4 from apple then i rang vodafone and they refused to send me a micro sim so i'm going to cut my blackberry sim card, are you sure it will work free of charge with everything working????

21. mrochester macrumors 65816

I can see the networks are going to hold us to ransome for micro sim cards.

22. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well will internet on my iphone 4 work on my cut sim card with a blackberry plan?

23. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

24. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

It would be helpful if someone could answer, thanks!

25. deonlee1 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I know someone already must've thought of this already; got the new iPhone data, so can i go and switch to the BB with unlimited data and then switch back? :rolleyes:"umh? i lost my iphone can i put this BB on my acct until im eligible for my upgrade?" :D