iPhone 4 on Virgin mobile in the US???

Hawaiian J

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
I was punching in numbers and figured an iPhone user would save alot of money if he/she bought a no commitment iPhone and switched carriers to virgin mobile. But can that be done? i called Virgin Mobile but i got a fob lady and i dont know if she knew what she was talking about but she said the network wont recognize the device. does it matter if u got a virgin SIM inside ur phone??? i need to know!!! i dont want to fork out 70$ to att every month! Thnx in advance.:)

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Virgin Mobile USA uses the Sprint network so the iPhone won't be compatible.

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
this - Virgin USA runs on Sprint's CDMA network instead of GSM, which the iPhone uses
What ?

iPhone will not work on Virgin USA. Only other network it will work on is T-Mobile, but that is only if it has been Jailbroken. And you also lose a lot of the iPhone's features.

anonymous guy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
What ?

iPhone will not work on Virgin USA. Only other network it will work on is T-Mobile, but that is only if it has been Jailbroken. And you also lose a lot of the iPhone's features.
Verizon and Sprint are networks that use CDMA radio technology - they do not use SIM cards to function. Virgin USA is a pay as you go carrier that piggybacks on Sprint's CDMA network.

AT&T and T-Mobile use the global GSM standard that requires the use of SIM cards.