iPhone 4 online pre-order - micro sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NArca9, Jun 11, 2010.

1. NArca9 macrumors newbie

So I have a 3G, and plan on ordering a 4 online so I don't have to wait in line and because there is only one Apple store in my area that will undoubtedly be swamped.

My question is this, since the 4 uses a micro sim, will I have to go to AT&T to get a new sim card? (Since my number is tied to my normal size sim card)

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

your phone will come preloaded with your information on the sim. just activate with itunes and throw your old sim away.

3. NArca9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok sounds good. Thanks!

4. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

Not that it matters, but the sim comes blank, the IMEI is loaded into the account, and when you activate, the information from your account will transfer onto the sim.

5. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

jfrancis04

Ok this may actually prevent me from creating a new thread on a question I have. I'm not eligible for an upgrade; however, my wife is and she doesn't care if I take the upgrade to get the iphone 4.

So if I order it under her name, can I still activate it under mine?

Thanks.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Answered in our Upgrade Guide

7. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

jfrancis04

Awesome thanks! Looks like I should be good to go.

8. MrLatte macrumors newbie

MrLatte

Old iPhone 3G

After I upgrade my 3G to the iPhone 4G and my old phone is deactivated, how do I setup the old iPhone to act like an iPod Touch?

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Search the forum....asked about once a week. Simple answer, leave out the sim.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want a microSIM right now you can buy one from AT&T for $15.

11. PaulieORF macrumors regular

Here's a question that is not answered in the upgrade guide.

I will be ordering my iPhone 4 online using the upgrade of another line on my family plan. When the phone comes, if I connect it to iTunes will it automatically activate it for the line it was purchased on, or will I go through an activation process similar to when I activated my original iPhone at home, allowing me to just activate it on my line? I don't mind calling AT&T to do this if I have to, but I can imagine that on launch day, their customer service wait time will be a little lengthy.

Thanks.

12. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

this is why i will pre order and pick up at store.

13. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

From what I've read in this forum, you should call AT&T and have them switch the new phone to your line before plugging it into iTunes. However, I've also seen screenshots from past iTunes activations where you just enter the phone number that you want to activate the phone on. I'm planning on calling AT&T when I get mine just to make sure that it's activated on the correct line.