iPhone 4 only sound with headset (not the headset bug)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xper, Nov 1, 2011.

1. xper macrumors 6502

xper

Hi!

I am having some problem with my iPhone 4, it only outputs sound if i plug in a headset, and no, it´s not the headphone bug where the phone thinks there is a headset plugged into the phone when it isnt.

If i remove the headset from the phone it removes the headset icon like it should, but it doesnt output any sound from its internal speakers, not from itunes, not in games or from internet radio apps, and if i use the volume button on the phone it displays the volume icon but it does not show the squares under the icon to display the current soundlevel.

Is there a fix for this without having to reset it?

2. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue and it started last Thursday. My phone will ring and I get alert tones, emails etc but no keyboard clicks and no slide to unlock click. I have both sounds enabled. I tried a restore and setup as new, same problem. I am going to the apple store this weekend to get a replacement, but if anyone has a solution, I am all ears. X2 to the OP but I am on a 32GB iPhone 4S. Maybe it is iOS 5 related?

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I don't imagine it's iOS 5 related as we would've seen many other threads about it (unless I just haven't been looking).

I had a similar issue with my 3GS but couldn't find a way to correct it so I took it into a store and they "fixed" it (somehow) in just a few minutes. And I'm pretty sure they didn't swap it out.

4. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't make sense. And it's even more strange that it's happened across multiple devices. I have gone thru all the settings in the phone to verify I am not missing anything. Someone has to know.

5. xper thread starter macrumors 6502

xper

Yeah this is totally weird, i get sound when someone call me or recieving SMS but basically nowhere else. Totally random..... ;)

6. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Try calling apple and complaining about it to see if they have a resolution. My advisor didn't have any ideas other than the obvious.

7. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

As of last night I have my sound back but now my phone is constantly "searching..." for signal and often says "no service". Wtf is going on???