iPhone 4 or 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImAwesome, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ImAwesome macrumors newbie

ImAwesome

Hey guys. I currently have a 16GB iPhone 3G and it is REALLY slow. I have my sights set on upgrading my iPhone in the Summer via eBay. Which one would you guys purchase of eBay? Also, do you have any idea what price the iPhone 4 would be after the iPhone 5 is released? I'm hoping around 300 dollars for the 4.

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

If you're going to be waiting until summer, why not get the iPhone 5? Either way, in the summer I would recommend the 4 since the 3GS will slowly start to get phased out. I doubt it'll go as low as $300, but hey who knows!

3. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Between the 3GS and the 4, I'd go with the 4 anyday of the week.

4. A2DY macrumors member

if you could get either then get the 4, if for no other reason but the screen so much better and it should be more future compatible than the 3GS.

Obviously if you can hang on for the 5 though.

5. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

iPhone 4. Mainly because the iPhone 3GS will be obsolete once the iPhone 5 comes out.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're going to wait for the summer to get a new iPhone and want to save money on it, consider waiting until [if] the iPhone 5 is released and then purchase an iPhone 4 at a discounted rate as brand new.

7. iphonelov3 macrumors newbie

If waiting is a viable option for you, then i'd suggest that you wait until iPhone 5 comes out this summer.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Slowly? Try immediately as soon at the 5 hits. The 4 is a great, you'll love it coming from the 3G. If you wait until the 5 release the 4 will likely drop to $49 to replace the 3GS price point.

9. Stein357 macrumors 6502

He said eBay guys, making me think that he isn't up for a contract upgrade. The 4 is a HUGE improvement over the 3GS, get the 4 and don't look back.

10. /user/me, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011

/user/me macrumors 6502

The iphone 4 isn't a 4g phone like many like to say, because they think that that's what the 4 stands for. That said, it basically comes down to aesthetics. I've owned both and the only improvement that was drastic over the 3gs was the retina display. Just that was enough to make me get the iphone 4, but if the cost is one of the paramount concerns, I would definitely go with the 3gs.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Not to mention that there probably will be a new iOS introduced this summer which the 3GS may not support all of the features.

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Having to choose between these 2 I would say iPhone 4 no doubt about it. If possible, do wait and see what the iPhone 5 has to bring. a couple more months won't kill.

13. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

If I was you I would wait to see what the iphone 5 is like but if you can't/don't want to wait I would get the iPhone 3GS.

I have found that the iPhone 3gs is much stronger, has better signal, looks better and feels better in your hand.

The iPhone 4 drops call with the death grip and if you drop it the glass on the back will smash.

iPhone 4 = Weak, Not practical

iPhone 3GS = Strong, Practical.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

The 4, easily.

But I can be a bit biased since I never owned the 3GS. Sorta like Nike Jordan shoes and why I pick 1992 MJ the most in 2K11. My favorite was Jordan 7's and I even got the retro versions over a decade later. I mention this because we tend to gravitate and be biased toward ones we own and have the most experience with.

You can always wait though for the 5 since it is only 3 months away. I know about the Antennagate, but I still find it remarkable that iPhone 4 is 200MHz faster than 3GS, 3mm thinner, and Apple still found a way to give it a bigger battery! Remarkable engineering job by them even with all the Antennagate complaints. Even after all these dual-core Androids being released, iPhone 4 still has the longest battery life of them all! And it is doing this with a more polished/smoother OS and being thinner than most of them. The fact the OS remains static and not have live widgets/tiles running in the background does help.

15. alflavor macrumors regular

I'd get the 4 now, or if you can, hang onto the 5.

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Either get the iPhone 4 now, or wait a few months for the iPhone 5.