iPhone 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nick7138, Mar 30, 2011.

1. nick7138 macrumors member

Right now, I have an update available on my VZW plan. I don't expect to get a new phone until June or early July, so if there's no iPhone 5 at WWDC (which is the way it looks now) should I just wait until the fall to get it or just stick with the 4??? Thanks for the help :D

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's really up to you. Don't listen to us. Make a decision that YOU will be happy with, and not what people force you into thinking is the right decision.

I would suggest waiting until WWDC, and then you'll know exactly what's going to be happening. You can then make a decision if you want to wait, or purchase the iPhone 4 now.

3. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

I suppose you're right. Usually, I end up buying a product and regret it later by telling myself I should've gotten something else. This will be my first smartphone, so I'm going to spend a lot more time than usual doing research and everything. Thanks for your help! :D :apple:

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If you get either the iPhone 4 or iPhone 5, you're going to love the device either way. The Retina display on the iPhone 4 is amazing! I also love the battery life. I get about two and a half days of normal usage out of it. With my iPhone 3Gs I would only get a day and I'd have to recharge at night.

So you can't go wrong with either one. Just see what happens at WWDC and then you'll be able to make your decision then. The iPhone 4 will be able to support iOS 5, so the only real difference would be the hardware features.

5. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Not necessarily good on battery life. A lot of people are complaining that after updating to iOS 4, their battery life on the 3G and 3GS went down considerably. And there are those that are still using the 3GS that are still having battery life issues as well as the random reboot on calls issue (bunch of posts regarding this on the Apple Discussion forum, about 200 pages worth...each thread). Many have been able to fix this when they finally got forced into upgrading to the iP4 with 4.1 (me being one of them). But now there are those people who have an iP4 that updated to 4.2.1, and are experiencing those issues, and 4.3 hasn't fixed them. From what I hear too, people with iP4s who updated to 4.3 are also having issues with deleted stored texts. That when they send a text, all their stored texts were suddenly deleted. As well as the short alert tones and vibrate not working as they should when receiving text messages. Some have their notification set to 10x, but will only alert the one intial time. And with half of the new text tones being dwindled down to a fraction of their length from the previous 4.2.1, if you miss that tone or the one vibrate, you won't know you got a message until you actually look at your phone again.

Maybe this is Apple's way of getting everyone with a 3GS or iP4 to upgrade to the iP5? Worked previously with 3G and 3GS users. lol

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

Break out the tinfoil! :rolleyes:

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Tough call. Wait 2 months to find out if the next iPhone will be out in another month or another 4 months. That's potentially 6 months of waiting. That's a long damn time. Time that could be spent enjoying the iPhone 4. I'm waiting myself, because I won't pay $500 for an early upgrade and another 2 year contract on top of it...

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Uhhh the whole time reading this, I had no idea what the hell you are talking about? Why are you mentioning problems with the 3G/3GS? I really have no idea what my previous post had to do with everything you just said here.

He asked which one to get. The iPhone 4 or iPhone 5. And I was stating that both devices will be great and that he will enjoy both of them very much. And I also said if he purchases the iPhone 4, he will be happy with the purchase as it's a great device.

As what you were talking about... Please clarify because I still have no idea.

9. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

lol. It worked though didn't it? Most people who couldn't get their 3G or 3GS to work like it did under iOS 3.x, finally gave up even after several swaps, and just bought the iP5.

10. Ponderous macrumors regular

I was in a very similar situation. I chose to use my upgrade for the iPhone 4 and I couldn't be happier. We all know the feeling of buying something and regretting it weeks later. I can assure you that hasn't happened with the iPhone 4 for me. I love everything about this device. Best phone I've ever owned. Hands down. I would highly recommend it.

11. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I was making reference to your reply to the OP about your battery life being great. I was merely saying that not EVERYONE who has the iP4 has great battery life, especially after updating to 4.2.1, and according to posts here and on the Apple site, after updating to 4.3 as well.

Not saying the OP shouldn't get the iP4, but he should know the possibilities of what he can go through. At least with giving him all pertinent information, he now has a choice, instead of blindly buying a phone thinking it's going to work just like yours, and ends up working like those having issues.