iPhone 4 or Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbg95, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jbg95 macrumors member

I'm in the market to upgrade my iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 and would like to get opinions towards making the decision between staying with the iPhone or moving to Android, given the skyrocketing market share of Android. I have spent significant time setting up an Apple/iTunes-based media lifestyle, from having all Mac computers, AppleTV, iPhones, iPad, etc. But ignore all of that from a technical perspective. I'll start from scratch, but expect to replicate the same or improve on it in the Android platform, and am willing to do the work involved if the end resulting experience is better.

Can folks having to make a similar decision please comment on pros/cons of each and what lead you to your final decision?

I have friends who work at Apple, and friends at Google, so I'm not trolling for one side or another, just an honest appraisal of the state of both at this point and if it's worth switching to one or the other.

Thanks!

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

This really is a personal choice.
    I have yet to use an Android phone but I would like to one day.
    Something about Apple just keeps me coming back..

Specifically, which Android phone were you looking intro getting?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My recommendation is to do a search.

My other recommendation is that you're asking this on an iPhone forum, so you'll get mostly iOS type comments.

My final recommendation is to see what you want in a phone, see which carrier has coverage in your area and then play with both android and iOS to see which one suits your needs.

Also, see which apps tickle your fancy. If you're intent on playing lots of games the iPhone is a great choice, if you want a Phone that isn't restricted by its manufacturer and has lots of apps, then the android based phone makes sense.

There's no right or wrong answer, just get one that fits your needs, budget and coverage area.

4. jbg95 thread starter macrumors member

1) I agree which is what has kept me at Apple apparently against the tides over the years. But I find that the single fundamental difference between Apple and Google is "proprietary" versus "open source"...both in quotes because the topic is too subjective when you get right down to it, so how do these philosophical differences manifest in the market and how do I choose which is better for me.

2) Dunno...that's my next question. Has to be on AT&T (for work).

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, the iPhone 4 can be jailbroken now, so its not restricted anymore. So, I'll choose iPhone 4.

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

I used to use iPhone 3G, moved to Nexus One when it first came out, and now back with iPhone 4.

I find that Android platform is good but the nagging problem for me is the UI. There are so many inconsistencies in the UI that Google itself is going to address this in Gingerbread. I am begging Google everyday to force those developers to UPDATE their damn icon from pre 2.0 angled style to the current style because it's really aggravating to not have uniformity in the app drawer... Maybe it's just me but there you go

App selection is good and improving but don't expect A+++ games you can find on iOS platform at the moment. Major developers are indeed moving to branch out to Android as well (EA Mobile) but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you're into old school games, Android is wonderful... Quake, emulators, etc most of the stuff can only be achieved by Jailbreaking iPhone.

While talking about the Apps, I find that the fact that Android has no Desktop App management really really really really really really annoyed me.... At least in FroYo you can update all apps at once but currently, if you're using Eclair, you're stuck updating 30 apps ONE BY ONE!! (yes I'm a slacker, I don't update my app when the notification bar told me to). Otherwise, though, the ability to get refund on your app really works well....

Android phone selection is great (obviously) but currently, you should get the Samsung Galaxy S from all major carriers as it is the highest specced Android phone out there... Unfortunately, after pulling Nexus One out, Android has no ambassador anymore as all the phones out there are riddled with custom skins which is kind of aggravating... but thank goodness for CyanogenMod, right? :D

Now, if you have all your media set-up with the Apple ecosystem, it is probably much better to stick with iPhone... I experienced this first hand as I was having so much difficulties to sync all my iTunes playlist to my Nexus One. I finally found a program called Sailing Media Sync that will work with this set up but it's rather clunky to use as some of my songs sometimes disappear or album art not displaying properly (something that really2 annoyed me... again probably just me). Many of my friends who are Android fanbois told me to just drag and drop my music... that works if you don't have specific playlist for specific music. I organized my music neatly and there is place and time for each of my music. For example: I will go crazy if the song switches from church worship song to my eurotrance mix.

All in all, both platforms are the platform of the future of mobile computing. I do believe Android will eventually outperform Apple in terms of marketshare... just by the sheer amount of devices they have. However, will that means developers will switch to Android Market platform and ditch iOS? Only time will tell.

TLDR Version: Get iPhone 4 now... wait and look out for iPhone 5 vs Gingerbread Android for future iteration

7. jbg95 thread starter macrumors member

Good point about the Apple forum, and that will show the sway in my general preference. But on the other hand a good forum to ask as I'd be switching from iPhone to Android...but keeping all my other Apple stuff. So maybe the question is "is Android fully Apple-friendly?" ie, can I use an Android phone in an otherwise all-Apple ecosystem?

Budget isn't a factor, coverage...just has to work across the U.S. and be on AT&T.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most people choose not to jailbreak the phone and I think it matters not that the gov't stated that apple cannot penalize folks for doing it. Most people who buy iPhones will live within the app store eco-system. That's not a bad thing but it is limited to what apple dictates.

9. jbg95 thread starter macrumors member

Dude, thanks for the nice writeup. Yeah, those are the kind of things I'm looking at and tradeoffs I'm considering. We get to choose year by year these days (or by 2 years based on contracts :) so it's an ever changing set of options. I do some gaming, but I really want overall solid usability, solid UI, etc. I agree, it sounds like gingerbread will bring the two a bit closer.

On the ecosystem deal, I'd be willing to switch to something else, but from what I can tell Apple's the only game in town for overall no-BS day to day usability from the TV (AppleTV drives me insane, but it works with iTunes) to the work laptop, phone, and sitting in the back yard browsing Pad. I have no desire to fart around with Boxee or any of those apps and dealing with setting up file sharing.

Is there a killer-app/platform reason to consider Android over Apple right now? I'm not concerned with underpinnings (flavor of UNIX, etc), just overall market direction, features and goodies that benefit me day to day. :)

Guess we'll check back in another few months. :)

10. jbg95 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed...just like I'd like to fart around with my car FI system and buy a chip, I don't have the time and don't want to mess around with Jailbreaking. It offers a marginal return for stuff I really don't need. Yeah, I've turned into a grown up. :)

11. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

so let me get this straight

-you have spent tons of money in itunes

-bought most of the igadgets

-paid extra for a mac

and now you want to switch to a platform that is just recently on par with iOS because its market share is starting to catch up?

12. Tulsa macrumors member

Go to the various stores and get each phone your considering into your hands to get the look, feel and how it interacts with you personally. Don't listen to the sales people too much, do your own reading.

Check out the coverages in your area and the areas you feel you'll take it and need to use it and make sure the carrier your going to married to for two years will provide you with what you need.

Finally check out the pricing plans, some are more fixed and others offer a bit more ala carte pricing. Be sure what you end up with as a monthly payment is what you want as you'll be paying for it for the next two years as well.

Almost everything about this is a personal choice and those choices are always subjective, where you need it, what you can afford to pay and what you'll be doing with it.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up choosing.

13. jbg95 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, in a nutshell that's pretty much what I'm asking...is there currently a compelling reason for me to consider Android? Quick sanity check before I buy a new phone. Looking for quick answers like, "nah, dude...in the same boat as you, looked around, stick with the iPhone for now" or "dude, the Android blah blah rocks, you're missing out because of ____". I don't mind hopping platforms if there's real upside.

14. illutionz macrumors 65816

Frankly speaking, there was really no "killer" 3rd party app when I was using Nexus One... In fact, the killer app was the great Gmail app, Google talk, and free Maps Navigation....

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

All of us here at MacRumors really think Android is the way to go. [​IMG]