iPhone 4 or BB Bold 9700?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cuddykid, Jun 16, 2010.

1. cuddykid macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    It seems a tough decision to me. I've had all 3 versions of the iPhone but in someways I just feel like a change, but in other ways, I know that if I leave the iPhone I might regret it :S
    The persuasive factors on the BB side is the cost, the design (white bold 9700 looks great) and the overall rugged/reliability factor.
    I'm struggling! The £499 price tag of the iPhone 4 just seems too much, maybe a typical apple over pricing? And then you've got the (almost) guarantee that another year down the line there will be a new model out!
    The thing I really think i'll miss is the turn by turn gps (i've got an tomtom car dock), are there any people that have moved to BB and found this to be an issue?
    Thanks! :)

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Have you even personally tried the Bold in person? I honestly suggest you go to the store and try it in person. I met a few people who couldn't handle using it after coming from years of iPhone. The keypad is very annoying and horrible.

3. cuddykid thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had a go on one instore, personally I don't think the keypad will be too much of an issue. Some people love it and some people hate it! I'm just concerned about it almost being a downgrade from my current iPhone 3GS !

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

^ Ditto

I've owned a number of BB's and although the messaging services are top-notch, everything else would be a downgrade.

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

These two choices aren't even close. The Blackberry OS is dated and close to being obsolete (aside from corporate environments) where iOS4 is new and fresh. Easy decision IMO.

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Unless your work gives you a BB, I say forget it.

Not only is it a downgrade, it's a boring downgrade. ;)

7. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

just got rid of my 9700 for the iphone 4.. blackberry's aren't bad... email is very reliable but the internet on them sucks the big one. But the lack of apps really sucks!!!!! I own an IMac,Macbook Pro and numerious Ipods now i just went all the way switching to the IPhone 4 lol

8. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

very boring indeed.;)

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Who's going to suggest BB on this site?

iPhone all the way!

10. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Are you seriously posting in an iPhone forum asking if you should get an iPhone or a BlackBerry? I wonder which one people are going to recommend...

11. westla7 macrumors member

Actually, I am on the same side as OP. I am thinking which one should I get, BB 9700 or iPhone 4. Less issues for me, I am pretty okay with touchscreen and physical keyboard. The latter seems to be more "natural", if you will (we all are using physical keyboards for our laptops, aren't we? :)
    Also, messaging (email, text, IM) on Blackberry is much easier and really superior to what even new iPhone can offer. It looks nice, battery life is amazing. Downgrade? Probably it is, for the browser, video/camera. Apps? Not that much. Most of all really useful apps do exist for Blackberry.
    Depends on how you use your phone. I really use mine as a phone + messaging device. Browsing rarely, but can easily have my laptop Bluetooth-tethered via Blackberry and enjoy bigger screen.
    So, why iPhone 4? I didn't see anybody mentioning WHY iPhone 4 would be better? :) If you spend a lot of time just wasting time, obviously, you do need gazzilion of different apps, just to waste time. For everybody else, I guess, phone is not a girlfriend or best friend, it's just utility, like belt. It has to do the job and do it good.

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

An adequate maps app is probably THE most wanted feature for me since there are countless times where I want to figure something out quickly when I'm on the road or walking around. iPhone does it well for me versus Berries.

13. westla7 macrumors member

google maps for blackberry does the job pretty well.

14. coolbreeze07 macrumors newbie

coolbreeze07

it really all depends on your needs. In my opinion no phone is better than another, it comes down on what youre going to be using it for.

That being said, I used BB for many years. And for email/messaging they're the bees knees. If you need a business utility you cant go wrong. If youre looking for an all round multimedia device, it might not be your cup of tea.

15. westla7 macrumors member

I work in IT, actually do a lot of software development, Web/mobile. iPhone IS a very interesting device, and I have one just for development (old 3G). But so is iPad, and probably iPod Touch. So, even knowing I do relate to those devices due to my job, I am still trying to put them on the scale of what I am doing day-to-day, and seems like Blackberry does this part much better/nicer.
    Dunno. Obviously it's not Blackberry-lovers forum, but may be that's why it's a good place to ask such question? To see what you, iPhone-fans are doing with the devices? :)

16. westla7 macrumors member

Depends how you define multimedia. Media (music) player is nice. It can do photos with flash. It can record video. What else? Video editing? That's a cool new iPhone 4 feature, but most of us don't give a ... about it. Same as face-to-face chatting. That's soo nice as a feature-demo, but nothing what you'd need everyday, or even once a month :)

17. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

I have the bold 9700 and im switching to the new iphone :p personally love the blackberry but since im flying out to europe for summer i need it since its unlocked.

Just play around with the phones first and think about it :)

18. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

19. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I use a BB for work and iPhone for personal. The BB is a fine device for email, messaging, etc. but, as pointed out above, it lacks seriously in apps and web browsing. Even when comparing apps on both there are major differences. For example, my wife uses Facebook on her BB and it is plain awful compared to Facebook on the iPhone.

In the end it comes down to what you use it for. If all you do is message and make calls, the BB is fine. If you want anything past that stick with your iPhone.

20. westla7 macrumors member

That really says pretty much nothing. Like "I don't know". It would be very helpful and nice if people will share why/how iPhone could be better.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

After trading my 3GS for a Bold I had it for three days before adding a line to my account to get another 3GS.

Take from that what you will. ;)

22. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I wouldn't. Made that mistake once, won't be happening again!

23. westla7 macrumors member

My take on this is that you need to carefully lay down WHAT you do more often, what's critical for you every day, and what is necessary to do easier.
    If you go with:
    - battery life
    - text, IM, email messaging
    - phone functions
    - music (say for the gym)

--- then it sounds like Blackberry.
    If you want heavy browsing, if you need all possible apps -- and ??? not sure what else -- then iPhone.

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

All of us on MacRumors think the Bold is a much better smartphone. :rolleyes: