iPhone 4, or Evo and wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jotade11, Aug 21, 2010.

1. jotade11 macrumors regular

Hello everyone!

I know this was previously posted, actually the previous thread, but I had a slightly more specific question; should I purchase the iPhone 4 now, at the risk of wanting to switch to Verizon in January, thus triggering something like $280 in Early Termination fees?

I looked at the HTC Evo 4G as an alternative, and despite it being now what I'm used to (as in NOT iOS) but it could do for school until, at latest, the next iPhone launch next summer. Should I buy the iPhone 4 and then pray it comes out on Verizon in January and pay for both plans, or wait on the iPhone and buy the Evo now?

Thanks and feel free to just offer opinion!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you need a phone now or not?

-If YES- buy whatever phone you want now.
    -If NO- don't buy a phone and wait.

It's not that difficult...

3. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, let me rephrase my question(s) then...

1.) What are the chances a new iPhone comes out in January(or around then)?
    2.) What are the chances a new iPhone comes out in January (again, just around then) on Verizon?
    3.) Is the Evo a suitable replacement for an iPhone guy?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, the Evo is Sprint only. But I have played around with it, and it is really nice. It's a little big, but it has a really nice screen, 4G, and Sprint actually has reasonably priced plans. Personally, I think that will be my next one. I'd like an iPhone, but I have a touch, so I'm not lacking iOS (well I can't have iOS 4 just yet, but not a big deal). But to answer question 3 specifically, I think it would be a suitable replacement.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

1.) What are the chances a new iPhone comes out in January(or around then)?

No one knows.

2.) What are the chances a new iPhone comes out in January (again, just around then) on Verizon?

No one knows.

3.) Is the Evo a suitable replacement for an iPhone guy?

Why does the EVO even make sense in this scenario?

6. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously no one knows! I'm only asking for your thoughts, opinions or ideas.
    And the Evo makes sense because the Sprint early termination fee is MUCH smaller than the AT&T fee... meaning if I decided to switch, it wouldn't cost me as much.

7. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, cool. It looks like it might be a good 'holdover' phone, until Apple releases the latest and greatest. Thanks for the reply :)

8. anon.ymous macrumors member

Get a cricket phone or something to tide you over.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that you're waiting for nothing though. Unless you're waiting for the iPhone comes to Verizon rumor to be pushed back by another 6 months (I can see the headlines - iPhone 5 will definitely be for Verizon!!).

9. etiger13 macrumors member

If you are on ATT now, and are just looking for a phone to use until January, when Apple may or may not introduce a Verizon iPhone, then why not just buy a used iPhone?

And yes, the Evo is a great replacement for an iPhone. In my book, its a significant step up from anything other than an iPhone 4. When it comes to the iPhone 4, its a sideways step meaning its comparable. You lose the retina display but you get a larger display. You lose Facetime (but how many people are actually using it?) and you get 4G and tethering. You lose iOS and get a much more open OS that you can add tethering too. That last bit is the most important thing to me.

10. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

This statement makes me think you would plan on switching if you went to Sprint. I would say wait 'til January and decide whether to get a mythical Verizon iPhone or an AT&T iPhone. Then you don't have to waste ANY money on a cancellation charge on top of a new phone. Save your money for Apps.

11. naubot macrumors newbie

If you really want to go Verizon, I would wait until January for the announcement. Iphone WILL come to Verizon ;)

12. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Geez, I really hope not. Verizon's service may be great, but their pricing sucks! If the iphone comes to verizon, then it's a no brainer, I'm getting an evo on sprint.

Anyway, I think it's best to wait til January. I doubt that a new iPhone will come out, but sprint will have a few new 4G phones. Verizon is also planning to release a lot of new android phones this fall.

13. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

And if iPhone goes to Verizon, don't you think the AT&T service might improve with less traffic, or no?

14. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

It's really not so much the quality... where I live in New Hampshire, when it works, it's pretty darn fast. It's the places where it doesn't work, of which there are quite a few, that push me towards Verizon. On my commute, there are large cutouts in the service, whereas all my buddies' Verizon phones work perfectly (if not on a slightly slower network).

But yes, if that were the issue for me, that certainly might be true.

15. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Just some thoughts...

We've been hearing about the iPhone coming to other carriers for quite some time now. I would be interested in seeing it come out to more than 1 new carrier.

My case: I'm on T-mobile (no more contract, I mean I've been with them for more than 30 months already) and I have no complaints whatsoever. Their phones.. don't really excite me. I'm paying $60/mo for myfaves 300 and 1000 messages. No data.

There are now new rumors of a possible 3G ipod Touch. If they do come out September 1st, I'll keep my T-mobile, remove my 1000 msgs and pay around $50 /mo and I would buy a 3G iPod Touch if data plans are less than $25.

I can wait like that until January.

Would that be an option for you?