iPhone 4 or HTC Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve Jobs., Feb 6, 2011.

1. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Background info:
    -I am eligible for an upgrade on Verizon (I'm on a family plan)
    -I currently have a Motorola Droid (original)
    -I have a Macbook Pro and use iTunes regularly
    -I am a college student
    -I don't live in a 4g city and the city I travel to doesn't have 4g either.
    -I don't want to wait more than a month for a phone because I don't have much patience.

Ok so here's the deal.

What I WANT is an iPhone.
    What I DON'T WANT is an outdated phone.

This puts me in sort of a dilemma and I've read numerous articles on both phones, spent countless hours browsing forums, and I'm just torn as to what to do.

The HTC Thunderbolt, spec-wise is in every way greater than the iPhone and is releasing around the same time as the Verizon iPhone. However, I would love to have seamless integration between my computer and my phone.

I don't know what to do.

On one hand, I don't mind android, and I would love to get the HTC but what's holding me back is that it lacks integration with my computer.

On the other hand, the iPhone 4 has this integration I want (along with the ipod music player which is awesome compared to the stock android player), but it is a fact that it is a 7 month old phone with "outdated" hardware.

So the problem then becomes, I want an iPhone 5, NOW. Obviously this is impossible, so I come to you guys to give me some insight on what would be a good decision to make.

One thing I have considered is that I can buy the iPhone 4, use it until the iPhone 5 comes out, sell my iPhone 4, and upgrade to the 5. However, I've never really sold any of my phones before and I'm not familiar with what they go for, or anything like that. Around how much more do you think I would have to pay to upgrade to the iPhone 5, if I sold the iPhone 4 around that time?

Another thing I have considered is that I can just buy the HTC right now on a 1yr contract, and then just get the iPhone 6, when it releases.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

3. Steve Jobs. thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for the link to the thread!

But iPhone vs. Thunderbolt was only part of the question.

I also asked how feasible it would be to sell an iPhone 4 and upgrade to an iPhone 5 when it releases, etc.

4. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

search, search, search.

This is so easy to find on your own. Go to ebay and go to craigslist to see the prices people re-sell their phones for.

5. utneon macrumors regular

i think iPhone is the best phone when you use a lot itunes, iphoto and iMovie integration with a mac.

that is my case, so i cannot think of any other phone that's better, even if it has better specs. what good are the specs if the os isn't that integrated? :)

however i wish i had a better camera on iPhone, but that's a tradeoff, apps are way better :D

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

What do you need seamlessly integrated? Calendar? Contacts? Music? You can do all that with an Android phone. I thought long and hard about this, but am going the iPhone 4 route and giving my Droid X to the wife. But I have the luxury of having another line that can be upgraded in May so if the iPhone 5 comes out or the Thunderbolt is too appealing I have a fallback!

7. Steve Jobs. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I need calendar, contacts, and music integrated with the corresponding apps on my mac. Can I really do them on an android seamlessly? how so?

Also, can you tell me why you chose to go the iP4 route?

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The iPhone is a pleasure to use. You won't be disappointed. Don't get wrapped up in specs so much as hardware is nothing without great software. I would say go with the iPhone as not having LTE in your area is a real deal buster for the benefits of the Thunderbolt.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I sync my calendar and contacts with my Google account. I don't sync music with it, but you can use something like doubletwist that will do it.

I own an iPad and love it and thought I'd give the iPhone 4 a try. I think LTE is a year away from getting enough coverage to be worth it and by that time Apple should have something out. I did think long and hard about it though... If you like to tweak your phone, the Androids give you a ton of options to do so. If you like the elegant UI that Apple chooses for you, the Apple is fine. I don't find myself tweaking my phone much so it's not a big deal to me.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

unfortunatley since theres a much smaller market for second hand verizon iPhones, they wont sell for as much. ATT iPhones got high prices even a year after their release because they could be unlocked and used on TMobile or with any other SIM card without signing a contract. Particularly for people wanting an iPhone on a GSM carrier that didn't offer them, used iPhones were very valuable

Verizon iPhones will only sell to verizon people, who can get on on contract or at least straight from verizon new. So your buyers are only going to be people not wanting to sign a contract and not wanting to pay full price. So you wont be able to bridge the gap for a new iPhone 5, just shorten it by a couple hundred dollars.

Basically, I estimate a 16gig iPhone 4 for Verizon to have a resale value of maybe $400 in June. Getting a new iPhone 5 then will cost you $600-$700...so youre still looking at paying another $200 around then

11. Roadking macrumors 6502

The thunderbolt would be my second choice. Love the bigger screen and built in kick stand. But over all it wasn't enough to sway me from ordering the iphone.

12. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

your phones 2 years old. Who cares if you're getting an "outdated" iphone. It does what you want it to do, and it's hardware specs are fine. It will do you good for 2 years until you upgrade again.

Personally, I still use my iPhone 2G (as an iPod). Touchscreen, and everything works completely fine! I find it funny when my friends show me their photos on their Androids, they have to wait a few seconds to let the images load, but on my iPhone, I can just start scrolling through the 900+ photos I have, with no loading or anything.

My iphone is 4 years old, and it kicks a lot of ass. The iPhone 4 is nice, I think you should get it. :)

13. cheeseblock macrumors member

i would definitely go for the iphone.

this new thunderbolt phone is the first 4gLTE phone there is, so it's probably gonna have some issues. Even if it was problemless, it is going to have a terrible battery life, just like the evo. You will not be disappointed with an iphone, but you most likely will with the htc. Plus, android just sucks in general.

I am much happier with a 8 month old beautiful iphone 4 running on 3g than a crappy android with faster internet. plus, the ipod part of the iphone is a huge selling point for me

14. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Not really. I'm selling my original Verizon Droid for more than I paid for it. They have become the latest craze in L.A. for people to buy and flash for Metro PCS. I've sold every other VZW phone I've ever bought for right around what I paid also.

If you price it strategically then you have a good chance at breaking even or at least coming close. There is always someone out there who needs a new phone because theirs was lost or stolen, they don't want a new contract, the phone can be flashed to a new network, etc. If it's in excellent shape knock $75-$100 off the full retail price and it will sell. If, in a few more months the iPhone can be flashed to Metro PCS, Sprint, whatever they will command a higher premium.

Even if the resale value on the 16GB is $400 in June, that's still $200 more than he paid and whether or not he wants to pony up more money for a new off contract phone and spend $200 out of pocket is something he has to decide because he is bound by contract and made the decision to do so.

In the end if you play it smart, you can be "current" with little out of pocket.

15. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

go with the iphone... I can already tell you that the battery life on the thunderbolt is going to suck.. it only has a 14 mah battery....

16. appleobserver macrumors newbie

Wherever apple and its innovative products exist.

Please try to understand that android and iOS are two very different OS'S and are made for two very different persons.If you want a phone that's absolutely crammed full of features go for android.If you want seamless hardware+software combination then iphone should be your pick.Nobody can exactly tell you which phone to buy,take some time out to figure out what are you gonna be using your phone for and then buy what suits you best.And please don't get attracted to android's hardware offering as it is great in hardware and equally poor in software updates,which means that every three months when a new android version comes out your smartphone may or may not receive an update and even if it does it won't be on time.Whether to buy the iphone4 now or wait for iphone5 is for you to decide.Hope this helps.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if they manage to find a way to flash it to other carriers, then you will be able to sell it for more than it costs new without a contract. That I'm pretty sure of. But I think it'll take the hackers a while to figure that out, because, unlike the GSM version, it'll probably take more than a piece of software you download to do so. On GSM iPhones, the software can be uninstalled and it is like nothing ever happened. Hardware unlocks are more complex, and even the software unlock took more than a few months to develop. We'll probably be getting news from the Dev Team about how feasible it is soon, but I doubt it'll be unlocked by june

18. elan123 macrumors 6502

lol, asking this on an iphone forum is classic.

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Get the iPhone 4 now and when the iPhone 5 comes out this summer sale the iPhone 4 on eBay or craiglist. You should get $400 or more on the iPhone 4 if you keep it in great shape

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

OP,

By the time the iPhone 5 is released both of the phones you mentioned will be "outdated".

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

And as I recall, many people were selling their iPhone 3GSs for $300 easy, even just the 16GB, if it was in good condition. Plus, unlike AT&T, Verizon doesn't have the "backstock" in iPhones for it's used phone market. So keep good care and you should be able to get most of your money back.

if you sell it, just look up the common tips for what ever venue you go. Such as some of our regulars when they craigslist an iPhone prefer to do the exchange by a local police station; don't accept less than what was agreed upon. If on eBay, keep it in the US, etc.

22. Steve Jobs. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I may just go ahead and get the iPhone 4, and sell it later on for an iPhone 5.

23. 66vi macrumors newbie

better resale value

This thread was really helpful, I appreciate the comments. I am probably going to go with the i4 as well & then sell it in the summer when iv comes out. I would however like to get your opinions on which phone will likely have the better resale value come June....The i4 or the thunderbolt? Thanks for sharing!