iPhone 4 or iPad 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ombrenelcielo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

I am having the possibility to do some apple shopping in a few days, I am an owner of a 2G iPhone and I am happy with it, but I was thinking to get an upgrade to be able to follow the new app updates and so on.

On the other side iPad 2 was just announced and surprisingly it will be on sale from the 25th of March here in Finland too, unexpected.

I am doing a kind of job that requires intense mobility and there are many applications for the iPad that are really interesting.

What I wanted to ask you is:
    1) upgrade my iPhone to a 4 with a 2 year contract (sonera 49 a month with 600 minutes and 1 gb of data) with possibility to switch to an eventual iPhone(n) in future.
    2) wait a bit and get the 3g iPad2 at launch and eventually change the iPhone in summer/autumn with the updated one?

I was thinking to go for the iPhone because of the contract basically, but the iPad2 is very attractive having already a working iPhone...

Any suggestions? :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Option 2. Seems to make the most sense. If you can live with your iPhone 2 for a few more months. Get the iPad 2 3G version and then when the iPhone 5 arrives. Buy that.

If you can't do both due to the cost, then I'd suggest getting the iPhone 4 because the phone could be more useful.

3. boca76 macrumors member

You should wait for iPhone 5 and buy a Macbook Air now.
    The iPad is just an iPhone with a big screen and without phone functionality.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

5. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Get an iPad 2, then wait a bit, then get and iPhone 5. Simple and you will feel very happy about it.

6. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

I'm not sure what you mean by "intense mobility." If by that you mean that you have do work not really possible (or comfortable) on your iPhone, then by all means get the iPad.

7. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

by mobility you mean internet on the go right.? I would say get iphone 4. Im not sold on the usefulness of the ipad yet. I think the iphone is a pretty powerful tool...

8. ombrenelcielo thread starter macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

in the end I've got an iPhone 4, I'll check the iPad thing: the lowered price of the iPad 1 wifi is quite fascinating and I can use the connection of my iPhone to browse if I have no coverage.

I'll think about it ;)

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If it is out of those two options, I would get the iPad 2 now and just get the new iPhone when it is announced later this year. Apple generally comes out with new iPhones every year and a lot of rumors are circulating right now about what it will have.

Overall it will be a lot better so getting an iPhone 4 right now is a little... illogical if you know and might want the newer version later this year. Of course this depends on if you're willing to buy off contract and/or just have the money laying around. If you do, then by all means get the iPhone 4 right now :)