iPhone 4 or iPad? Which one should I buy? Help me please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Iskender, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Iskender, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

Iskender macrumors newbie

Hi mac lovers!

I want an advise, I couldn't find any forecast about the next generation iPhone I mean 5 and the next generation of iPads release dates.

Its 50/50 question for me, if they are both going to be released on spring which one would be best for me? Does anyone know the forecast about the release dates?

PS: I know that they are used for different purposes and they have advantages and disadvantages but as I said its 50/50 question. I can not buy them both for now and the prices for them are nearly the same about 1000 usd.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Iphone updates tend to arrive in June/July.

The iPad was launched in February as I recall, so an update for that is likely to arrive first.

As for which is best for you, you're the one who knows. Which do you need: a phone or a tablet computer? :rolleyes:

3. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks tersono.

Thats very helpful information. If next gen. iphone will come out on june/july so we are gonna wait for it at least for 3-4 months its almost one year so ı can use iPhone 4 with no doubt. But if iPad is going to be launched on February it would be not a good news if I buy one and after a month there will be a new gen. iPad with the same price but with more features. Thanks again a lot.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you need a phone, get the phone. If you want a tablet, get a tablet. It really comes down to what you need/want....

5. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

@ dukebound85

You know it doesn't matter which one because of the same price and I can only buy one of these for now, the other I will buy on the next month. I want two of them but my budget is for only one for now. I need them both because I'm going to use them for personal purpose and the main thing is as test devices for iOS apps and games.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually it does matter. They are different devices with different form factors, and depending on which iPad you buy you will won't have to pay a monthly wireless carrier charge.

Maybe once you post some information that is actually useful to those you're asking for help you'll get a better answer. As it stands you might as well flip a coin.

7. mikerr macrumors regular

8. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

They are both are awesome, when I use iPhone 4 I'll get a mobile computer for my pocket with notes, music and etc. When I get iPad I own a sketchbook, surf device, ebook reader. But I'm outside of US and Europe so I'm not going to use any fixed network, I'll use my own carrier which I want thats why thats not a matter for me.

1- I want to buy both of them but in order, first for now and second on February or March.
    2- I'm going to make apps and games for both of them, and use for my personal purposes as anyone else.
    3- I need updated, with other words the newest device.
    4- I don't know which one of them are going to be launched first. Next gen. iPad with camera, gyro, etc. or the iPhone 5 is going to be released first?

If I know the real date by other words which one is going to be launched first I can make my decision.

PS: I can get iPhone 4 16GB with no fixed carrier (neverlocked) for 1000 bucks, and the iPad 3G+WiFi 32GB for 959 bucks, their prices almost the same

9. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

10. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your replies,

So everybody agree that iPhone 5 will launch in the middle of the year and Next Gen. iPad will launch on the first quarter of the year?

If thats like that my decision will be the iPhone 4 for now and will wait for the iPad on February or March.

11. atonba macrumors newbie

I got both. Bought the iPad in may, and the iPhone 4 in july. Since using the iPhone 4, my iPad is secondary. So I would advise you: get the phone! You"ll love it :)

12. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

So my decision is iPhone 4. Next will be the iPad when it'll be updated. Its logical to buy iPhone 4.

Thanks again guys.

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I find it odd that you would actually even ask. They are both completely different devices. There is some overlap, just like there is with a Laptop and a Desktop machine.

Since you're wondering which to get its clear you don't have a true usage scenario either. Try both if possible and to save some money get the iPhone 3GS. A lot of my friends have the iPhone 4 and I bought the iPad instead because I have the 3GS. I can't say I felt like I'm missing out, Retina Display while cool isn't a must have feature and I haven't encountered an App which has caused me to think that my phone is slow in any way (apart from the Camera App but I hardly use it).

I'd think again.

14. Iskender thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally bought iPhone 4 a month ago and happy to have it because its much better that 3G S but I gone mad that Apple is going to release CDMA version with better antennae one month later. Anyway it'll be decades to have a new one because I'm not happy USA resident, I live in Central Asia. Now I'm waiting for the new iPad, I hope it'll have a retina display. BTW, Apple has a new patent on stylus for iPad, I'll love it much more if it happens.

15. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Its highly unlikely iPhone 5 will come out this year. The current phone is pretty good especially the CDMA version which has no antenna issue. And there'll be no retina display on iPad.

16. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

I disagree, whatever it'll be called, the chances are strong there'll be a refresh of some form this summer. Same as every year since launch

17. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Verizon iPhone 4 came out just now. If they update iPhone, they've to update both versions (Verizon and at&t). So we'll see a new Verizon iPhone within 4 month of release which is unlikely. If they don't update the Verizon version, many will turn to at&t. So I don't think they'll update.

18. David Vazquez macrumors newbie

Depends. If you're on Verizon, go with the iPhone. This is because even if the iPhone 5 does come out, there is always going to be a 6 month delay (at least from what I hear).

If you're not on Verizon, definitely go with the iPad.