iPhone 4 or iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by subjugate42, Feb 20, 2011.

1. subjugate42 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm obviously a newbie around here and I hope I started this thread in the right place. I'm obviously a fan of Apple products and I can upgrade my iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 but I'm also thinking about getting an iPad. Many of you might have both but I'm wondering if you could only get one, which would it be and why. I guess I'm also having a hard time justifying the $499 entry point for the iPad since I already have a MacBook Pro. Any tips would help.

2. andrewappleinc macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 Vs. iPad

Well, I was in the same predicament a few months back but my problem was that I already had an iPad and really wanted the iPhone 4. In my opinion I would chose the iPhone 4 over the iPad. While the iPad is a great tool and a fun and useful way to type and surf the web, you already have a MacBook Pro which does many of the same things but doesn't have a touch screen. The iPad is basically an iPhone 4 enlarged without a camera. I love my iPad, but I'm a realist and I realize that it's an oversized iPod on steroids. If this helps answer you question, I actually sold my iPad on E-Bay and made $100 over what I paid because it was during the time when you couldn't get iPads overseas and I used the money to buy an iPhone 4 out of contract price because I signed a new contract 1 months previous for the iPhone 3GS. Trust me, the iPhone 4 is a great option now. I love both and if you are in the position to get both then i'd say do it. But if you can only get one now, I'd chose the iPhone 4.:apple:

3. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

i disagree with the guy above me.
    i would go ipad all the way....you already have a 3gs...
    the iPhone 4 is not THAT big of an upgrade...
    yes its a better camera, and retina display.....but the ipad is something different and exciting all together. I have all of them, (macpro, iphone4, and ipad) and im still picking up my ipad and using it on a daily bases.
    BUTTTTTTTT
    i would wait for about a month....im sure youve heard the new ipad rumors.
    If you wait...youll get the cameras (hopefully) and the stuff you want from the iphone4.

Viva la iPad

4. andrewappleinc macrumors newbie

I didn't realize he already had an iPhone 3GS. I should've read it more carefully. Yeah, if you are already an iPhone user then you should definitely get an iPad and just wait for an iPhone refresh. Totally Agree. And I own all devices too and use all constantly. But if you already have an iPhone, then go iPad all the way.

5. emuyshondt macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad. I like both. I can almost replace my laptop with the iPad. The iPad is much lighter to carry around and is more comfortable to use when not at a desk or table. My iPhone is always with me and is helpful to browse the web and for a quick e-mail. However the screen is pretty small and it is much more comfortable to use the iPad for any serious web work. I am carrying the iPad with me more and more. I use it as an e-reader for books and to do almost everything I do on my laptop except for writing long documents or serious text or image editing. I also use it as a GPS navigator in my car (though the iPhone is enough for me there) and as backup navigation instrument and map in my little Cessna plane. The phone and the iPad are pretty complementary to each other.

I got an iPad 3G more for the GPS than the 3G connection. Unfortunately I decided to try the data plan and liked being connected at all times so much that I ended up with another monthly data Charge. :) I suppose I could jailbreak the phone and turn on a WiFi hot spot for the iPad to use, but that would drain the phone battery more and it is just more convenient to have the data plan on the iPad too.

As of right now, I'd probably wait to get either device. There are new iPads supposed to be just around the corner and the next iPhone should be out in June or July. I do not find the iPhone 4 compelling enough to replace my 3GS, especially now that there's an iPhone 5 coming in another 4 or 5 months.

6. subjugate42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the responses. I was so sure that I was going to get the iPhone 4 but when I think about it more I will probably go with an iPad. Of course I'll probably have to wait it out since the new iPad is going to be announced in a few weeks. One reason I was interested in the iPad to begin with was that I wanted it to act as a graphics tablet, like a Wacom intuos or cintiq. I researched that and I've seen some solutions but I'm interested in creating 2d animation on Toon Boom. For the record amateur 2d animation!

Since I write alot I also see there are some notepad apps for the iPad and I'm "old school" since I prefer the tactile feel of writing on something when it comes to "creative endeavors". I might be a little neurotic. I also like the idea of carrying something lighter around than my 17" Macbook Pro when I don't have to do heavy duty computing.

Can't wait to see what upgrades the iPad 2 will have. Thanks again guys!

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think you're on the right track. Having a 3GS and an iPad 2 will probably be more pleasurable than having an iPhone 4 (or 5) and no iPad. If you just had the 3G I think it would be a different story.