Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilljoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Well my current contracts up and I'm looking to get a new mobile,

i've currently got a iPhone 3G which i love, but im not sure wither its worth upgrading to an iphone 4 or not.

from what I can tell the iPhone 4 is pretty much just a slicker looking faster 3g. with no user interface changes at all.

im very very tempted to go and get an HDC mozart on orange or HTC HD7 on o2 because windows phone 7 just seems totally different to what I have now.

so my question is is there anything the iphone 4 can do which the new windows phone 7 ones cant?

also plan C is possibly wait until the inevitable iPhone 5

and in your honest oppinion whats the best phone to get at the current time or wither its worth it to wait it out

dewdst

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
get the iphone 4, you can always sell it for top $ and get the 5 when it arrives............otherwise......

Attachments

• 2112121.gif
    2112121.gif
    980.3 KB · Views: 666

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
WP7 is really nice. But it is immature.

WP7 Doesnt have:
- Multitasking
- Copy/paste
- Threaded emails
- Mature app store

I use WP7 along with my iPhone quiet a bit and I think that WP7 has a lot of potential but no quite at iOS level yet.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

WP7 Doesnt have:
- Multitasking
- Copy/paste
- Threaded emails
- Mature app store

I use WP7 along with my iPhone quiet a bit and I think that WP7 has a lot of potential but no quite at iOS level yet.

Didn't all of those things take apple 3/4 years to achieve? I realize Microsoft should launch with those features...but just saying...

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Didn't all of those things take apple 3/4 years to achieve? I realize Microsoft should launch with those features...but just saying...

Yes and everyone complained until they were implemented.

Now Apple have implemented those features and done it fairly well.

Instead of watching and learning, Microsoft have just done what they wanted to do and removed features that people will spend the next few years complaining about.

I'm assuming you know about the whole SD card deal with WP7 as well?

gilljoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Yes and everyone complained until they were implemented.

Now Apple have implemented those features and done it fairly well.

Instead of watching and learning, Microsoft have just done what they wanted to do and removed features that people will spend the next few years complaining about.

I'm assuming you know about the whole SD card deal with WP7 as well?

whats the SD card deal with WP7?

ok probably going to get an iPhone on either vodafone or orange, tho cant decide which network would be best

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008

Yes I do understand that argument but that was way back in 2007 and just because Apple didn't do it then doesn't mean it is an excuse for a first release to not have it. Apple should have had all those features back in iOS 1.0!

Copy and paste is coming early 2011. App store will definitely mature so it's not all doom and gloom.

I enjoy using the HD7, the UI is quite different and refreshing to use. After shiny gems and jewels and gloss that Apple seems to like, Metro UI is quite a nice change once in a while. The live tiles displaying relevant information is really nice and it is something that apple should implement!

Android has widgets and WP7 has tiles... now iOS needs glanceable information!

ajarnfalang

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
whats the SD card deal with WP7?

WP7 can't support removable SD cards.

and an iPhone 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of iPhone 3G. Have you compared them side by side at the Apple Store?

Think about it. Yes, iOS hasn't changed as far as the interface. You get some features that the 3G doesn't support such as multitasking.

But it's not about that, it's about how far the 3G can get you? slow processor and low resolution.

At least the iPhone 4 can get you where iOS is going in the future. It's really about the hardware and being able to keep up with the coming changes.

WP7 looks new, but is it functional? I mean, can you take having to hit the back button or closing something every time you want to do something and having to go back to where you were? That's where the iPhone was 3 years ago. It's just not acceptable these days.

As well as copy pasting and all the other things you expect. You might as well just go with some Android phone (if you're willing to put up with the fact the phone manufacturer may never release an update (even Google updates Android) for the phone you bought).

gilljoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
iphone 4 it is,

now the important question is what carrier to get lol and how to get it.

and which network to get it with lol vodafone orange or o2

found a cheap deal on orange on voicemobile.co.uk but its a business contract

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Didn't all of those things take apple 3/4 years to achieve?

Yeah, and Microsoft's had at least that long - even longer - to figure out how to do it as well. It's not like a touch screen smartphone is a totally alien and new concept to Microsoft. Not having an app store right away is excusable, but when even previous versions of your mobile platform had copy/paste and multitasking, it's a little off-putting that their removal in the current version be a "feature."

Generally when you launch a competing platform, you should be caught up to your competition today, not how they were three years ago.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
This is a little late, and rather off topic, but I'd just like to put in for future reader's benefit - NEVER buy an android phone! I currently have one, and if it hadn't cost me a ****ton of money, I would've thrown it out the window by now. It lags, it crashes, the "Market" is so ridiculously understocked when it comes to apps that the only way you would be satisfied with it is if you've never heard the word "iPhone" before. I still carry my ipod touch around for entertainment purposes because my android phone falls so ridiculously short when it comes to apps. It crashes at LEAST twice a day, even the first day I got it.Lagging while moving through home screens is a regular thing, it happens pretty much every time. This is supposed to be T-Mobile's top of the line phone, their headliner right now, and it is a piece of crap. iOS all the way.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Deadman64 said:

WP7 Doesnt have:
- Multitasking
- Copy/paste
- Threaded emails
- Mature app store

No offense but that is an invalid point especially when it comes to computer/cellular technology.

Get the iPhone 4. I came from the 3G to iP4 as well and though you may not think it's a big improvement - it really is. Processing speed, added functionalities, and overall feel makes it very well worth it.

gilljoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
ended up picking up a 32gb iphone 4.

got the phone for the price of a 16gb one, its absolutely AMAZING i cant get over how fast it is compared to my 3g, i press the text button and im pretty much instantly in the text menu.

any applications that show off iphone 4 features u's recommend?

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
:O How did you manage to get it a 32 for 16gb price?

Everything I enjoy out the iphone is jailbroken!

gilljoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
:O How did you manage to get it a 32 for 16gb price?

Everything I enjoy out the iphone is jailbroken!

i went into orange and said i was looking to get an iphone 4, told the fella i wanted a 16gb one on the £35 month tarrif.

he said they dont have any 16gb ones but they would sell me the 32gb one for the same price :D.

ended up getting student discount off the tarrif so it costs me £36 for the tarriff plus unlimited texts.

also what jailbroken apps, I jailbroke the iphone as soon as i got it setup lol

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
WP7 can't support removable SD cards.

Not just that. Should a device come with a SD card, you can't remove it as your data will be lost.

Also, should the SD card need replacing for whatever reason, its not a normal SD memory card, it is a specially created one. Wonder how much that will cost :rolleyes:....

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
HTC HD7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3x--PuqzQY

I gotta admit the HtC HD7 is a beautiful phone. Better looks than the HTC Surround coming to AT&T. Has the same screen size as the Droid X, but without the hump on the back.

I wasn't a fan of WP7 at first, but I am now starting to realize how smooth and responsive it is compared to Android (on Froyo). And this is Version 1.0. Microsoft is showing its experience over Google when it comes to software and WP7 even outclasses iOS in some areas. With that said, I think WP7 is still immature. Give it two more years when it gets more software support and gets back basic features, similar to the growth of iOS and Android when it didn't have all the basics yet.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
and an iPhone 4 is leaps and bounds ahead of iPhone 3G. Have you compared them side by side at the Apple Store?

Think about it. Yes, iOS hasn't changed as far as the interface. You get some features that the 3G doesn't support such as multitasking.

But it's not about that, it's about how far the 3G can get you? slow processor and low resolution.

At least the iPhone 4 can get you where iOS is going in the future. It's really about the hardware and being able to keep up with the coming changes.

:confused:

You suggest spending money just to keep up with iOS. That is not a good approach. You should think what features you really NEED and then get the phone that fits those needs.

Some people are perfectly happy with the functionality of a 3G on iOS 3 and don't care where iOS is going in the future. It's really NOT about the hardware and NOT the upcoming changes.

It's about what we need and how to get a phone that meets those needs.

Right now I'm using a 3GS with iOS 3 and there is nothing in the iPhone4 with iOS4 that would be an improvement.
The next feature worth upgrading for me would be Facetime and only if enough of my family members and friends have Facetime.

Just because a contract ends or just to be ready for what the futur iOS does is not a reason to upgrade.

fertigo

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
When you have the money buy a iphone 4 forget windows phone it can be good in a few years but now it's not worth comparing it to ios.

When you don't have the money and want to safe the money for other things stay with the 3G, it's still a good phone and you can do nearly everything what you can do with the iphone 4, besides the features like better camera and video which I don't really need and the retina display is just eye candy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.