iPhone 4 or wait for 5G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snoopmon7, Feb 21, 2011.

1. snoopmon7 macrumors newbie

I hereby acknowledge that this is likely a very common question across these forums, so I want to ask for your forgiveness in advance.

I am new here, and I simply made this account to seek council for one question.

VZW is my current provider, and recently the iPhone 4G was released through them. My current dilemma, however, is whether I should buy the 4G now, or if I should save my money and wait for the 5G to come out.

My current phone is terrible and needs replaced, but I don't want to waste my money just to regret buying the 4G in a couple of months.

Your advice is much appreciated, and thanks for replying to such a cliché post.

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting and I suggest you do the same. There are a lot of people who think that Apple will delay the iPhone 5 on Verizon, but I'm not buying that for one second. There will be a new iPhone in June like always and it will be available for all carriers. The iPhone 4 is more than halfway through its one year cycle as the newest model so at this point I'd say to just wait. Although I should also note that there is virtually zero chance the iPhone 5 will support 4G, so if that's the only reason you're holding out then I'd buy it now.

3. ozred macrumors 6502

The Verizon model has a great antenna.

There's no official path for upgrades. You could be waiting for a long time only to find that new model is no better than the prior one. Buy now & don't get caught up in the unsubstantiated hype. Or you can buy Android. Mine is fantastic.

4. tucker3434 macrumors regular

There will be a new iphone this year. Nobody's really sure of when. They may bring out the white one, then wait til August or September for the 5 to milk this product cycle for all it's worth.

I went ahead and bought because I'm pretty confident this year's version won't be a 4g. I think that one will come in 2012. That's the one I'll wait in line for next. Worst case, this year's is a 4g and I pop my 4 on ebay.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

First of all, welcome!
    well the current iPhone 4 is almost at the end of it's cycle. In about 4 months the iPhone 5 will be announced. And a lot of credible sources are saying that it will have a Dual Core processor, along with many other goodies.
    My current phone (iPhone 3G) is really bad as well, but i'm hanging on for the next few months. It would have been fine it wasn't for the iOS 4 upgrade.
    Believe me, wait for the iPhone 5 and you'll be able to enjoy it fully. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Why buy a phone when it's cycle is coming to an end? And a much better phone will be coming up in a few months?

At the end it depends on your personal preference. I was happy with my iPhone 3G so i skipped the 3GS and the 4. however, the iOS 4 firmware killed my happiness. I know that once i get the iPhone 5 i won't be upgrading for a couple years at that.

Well apparently people are still having issues with the antennagate, so we can count that the iPhone 5 will bring a redesign that won't have the antenna issue.

The newer model of the iPhone is always better than the prior one. The 3G to 3GS upgrade was huge internally, actually thats why the 3GS runs the iOS 4 firmware so well compared to the iPhone 3G which shouldn't have gotten the upgrade in the first place.
    People who believe that the 3G to 3GS upgrade was not a big upgrade, should not judge a book by it's cover.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

The antenna is the same as ATT - in terms of bottom left corner dropping signal. Buy if you need it - wait if you need it later - don't buy if you don't need it.

7. PhoenixKit macrumors newbie

I think you should save your money and wait for the iPhone 5.