iPhone 4 overheat in a normal temperature room?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by anonymous guy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

This morning I got the overheat/temperature warning after taking my phone off the charger. Usually, I keep the phone on the charger overnight (I've done this with my 3GS) so it'll be 100% when I take it out for the day.

After a couple of minutes of casual web browsing at the house, the temperature warning showed up on the screen and the phone shut itself down, only allowing emergency calls. The phone felt very hot to the touch, which was strange, because the phone wasn't in a hot room, nor was I doing anything too processor intensive. When I let the phone cool down, I went about my day.

I didn't think there was a problem as the phone worked fine after cooling down - but I've noticed that the battery drains much faster than normal. Currently I'm trying to run the battery down so I can do a full recharge.

Should I be worried? I've been noticing that the lightest tasks makes the phone a little warm now.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

That could be a problem yes. I suggest taking it in to an Apple store and see if the Genius can help you out. You could of gotten one with a bad battery or just a rogue background process is using up all the cpu and causing it to run hot.

Restart the phone and see if it helps. Restore the phone in iTunes and if possible set it up as New instead of backing up with your settings.. If all else fails return it.

3. ashmarie73 macrumors member

ashmarie73

mine has been warm/hot to the touch... whenever i use it or its on the charger.

im worried something might happen :(

4. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

same here. I'm going to charge it to full and see how the battery holds up tomorrow.

If it starts dying quickly again, I'm going to the Apple Store for a replacement.

5. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

So I drained my battery and charged it to full last night, then took it off the charger before sleeping. On stand-by, the battery drained from 100% to 75% overnight.

I got the phone exchanged at a local Apple store with no hassle :D

6. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

Following that up, I had my phone exchanged for a second time.

After syncing up 28GB of backup data, I found out that the microphone didn't work. A Genius tried troubleshooting it and restoring it, but it was a hardware defect, so now I'm on my third iPhone 4. Hope three's a charm.

7. draz macrumors 6502a

8. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I hope so. I don't think I can wait for another several hour restore period, and I don't think the Geniuses want me to show up multiple times in one day again.

9. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

any advice

my iPhone 4 is overheating/getting warm right above the antennas. this is the first time its happened. any advice or help?

10. kuaiyouming, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. anonymous guy thread starter macrumors 6502

If it's become frequent/uncomfortably hot, try to go to an Apple store and see if they can run a diagnostics test on the phone. If you see the "Temperature" warning screen, you know it might be trouble soon.