iPhone 4 overheated BADLY!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawasakirider, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue? Today I felt my leg getting quite hot and I took my phone out it my pants and it was boiling. I have an opt screen cover that is a few mm deep with a bunch of different material and even that was very hot.

I let it cool down a bit and switched it off. I noticed when I unlocked it that drift mania was open. Could having a game open and the phone locked cause this?

It has never happened before. I haven't damaged anything so that's a positive.

Any experience with this, people?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If it overheats bad enough the phone will turn off and wait to cool down. So it probably didn't do any damage.

3. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

A search gave me threads where users phones had an error message on the screen saying it was hot and it was locked until it was sufficiently cooled. Mine was HOT to the touch, it was like holding a cup of tea after it had sat for a couple of minutes and had started to cool down. It also had a full case, so I bet the phone was hotter.

The phone works fine. Not worried about damage from this incident, just any that may arise in the future.

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

"Just don't put it in your pocket that way." :)

I've had it get warm before while playing games, but never as hot as what you say (but I don't keep it in my pocket).

I can see how it would get hot if you had a game open at the lock screen, since it'd be running in the foreground and hitting the CPU, etc. Add on the insulation from the case and your pocket (and your body heat being added in) and I can see it getting even warmer.