iPhone 4 Overheating and Battery Dying

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ducqui, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ducqui macrumors newbie

I've seen other posts about this on various sites but none of the solutions thus far have helped me.

Starting yesterday, my white AT&T iPhone 4 has been becoming very hot (almost to the point of burning my skin) while charging or while in use and the battery was depleted in about 5 hours (normally lasts me more than the whole day).

I first turned off the "Ping", deleted my e-mail account, reset the network settings, and still no change. Then, I did a complete restore to a back-up. I also turned off basically everything (Push notifications, location services, wi-fi, Fetch new data, etc) and closed practically every app including the standard ones like e-mail and You-Tube.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to fix this problem? The phone isn't very old at all, because they just started making these. The trouble is I didn't buy it, I actually found it at a bus stop in Vegas and the person never called the phone to get it returned so after a week, I changed it over to my account, so I don't think I'd be able to get any help at the Apple store about this problem.

2. epiciphonehack macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Huh... This can happen if the phone has been dropped. My 3Gs gets really hot alot to. I took it to the genius bar and they said that this commonly happens when you jailbreak, and in my case, unlock. But yours is mostly likely because of a bad battery or dropping it.

3. epiciphonehack macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Huh... This can happen if the phone has been dropped. My 3Gs gets really hot alot to. I took it to the genius bar and they said that that happens when you jailbreak, and in my case, unlocking as well. But yours is mostly likely because a bad battery or, of course dropping.

4. epiciphonehack macrumors member

5. ducqui thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not jailbroken mine, and it has never been dropped to my recollection. I keep it in a case, but just took it off because I felt like it might be keeping it from dissipating the heat.

6. RachDawn32 macrumors newbie

My battery was doing the same thing so I took it in. They had it for most of the day, and then said there was nothing wrong w it and I needed tO turn the Wifi off. I did and it is a little better but still has same problem. My sis says her iPhone is also dying fast so I think it's just iPhones