iPhone 4 owners, does the iPad screen bother you?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 2, 2010.

?

Fuzzy text

Poll closed Oct 30, 2010.
  1. Yes it bothers me.

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No it doesn't

66 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I love the screen size of the iPad, but the iPhone 4 has spoiled me. Text on the iPad looks fuzzy now. Are you bothered by it?

I don't think the iPad will get the Retina Display at the next revision because of cost.

2. ginguar macrumors regular

nope, still love my ipad more than my iphone 4.

3. ColReb22 macrumors member

I haven't noticed anything at all. My iPhone 3G screen looks like crap comparatively, but not the iPad.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Busboy macrumors newbie

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

(waves hand....)

This is not the issue you were looking for.....

7. bentrider macrumors member

I chose yes but "bothers" is a bit much. I do notice it and for a couple of days I was a bit annoyed with it. Gotten over it now though and using my iPad all the time again.

BUT... I am a bit annoyed that we don't have iOS4 yet.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The retina display is so exaggerated, kudos to Apple marketing for another great job. My ipad looks just fine, still love it.

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Right, but you don't own an iPhone 4 so I'm not quite sure how you can make that comment.

You have to see the display to really get it.

My iPad screen still looks fine, but I can definitely see a difference in clarity. The Retina Display is that amazing.

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I've seen the ip4 screen next to my 3gs screen. I see increased sharpness and it does look nice, but it's not earth shattering or incredible as many put it. At the end of the day it's still a tiny smartphone screen and IMO it's incredibly overhyped to the max.

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

13. raymondkerr macrumors regular

Don't get me know, the retina display on the iPhone 4 is amazing, but I still prefer the size of screen on my iPad. Doesnt look any worst than it did before getting the new phone.

14. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

No, the screen doesn't bother me in the slightest.

What I'm anxious for though is iOS4. I really want to to be able to organize into folders. Once iOS4 is out for iPad I will probably organize it exactly like my iPhone 4.

Steve

15. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Have noticed only when looking for it. But, no. Doesn't bother me a bit. Love the iPad.

16. Scuby macrumors regular

Very high pixelmdensity screens are definitely a good idea. But why should it bother you on an iPad any more than it does on a desktop PC, a laptop, a TV, or any othe display type?

Give it a few years an 300dpi screens will be available as options for everything, once the OSs can cope.

17. JulianL macrumors 65816

I voted yes (it bothers me) but I still love my iPad and am not really complaining about it because I realise that it's a limitation of today's technology and the price point that Apple was shooting for on the iPad.

For me this forum is a good example of the limitations of the current screen - I find it very comfortable to read in landscape mode without needing to zoom in at all but in portrait mode the fonts aren't quite rendered clearly enough for it to be totally comfortable. I do sometimes read this forum in portrait mode, and I still don't bother to zoom in, but at that point I am aware that I'm at the edge of readability.

I believe that Apple will increase the resolution significantly - just as soon as the technology is there to build the device at a sensible price point.

- Julian

18. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

I see a lot of people trying to rationalize their ipad purchase here and this is expected so this poll can never work, it's skewed. The plain and simple truth is that anyone getting used to the iphone 4 will then be bothered by the ipad as there is a clear degradation of screen quality. So anyone saying there isn't is clearly rationalizing here, which like I said, is all good and well provided these people (or at least others reading them) are aware that they are doing so.

Most people in EVERY new product they buy will not find blemishes to it when in few months a better speced product comes along because they 've invested their money and expectations in it. So, good intentions by the op here, but a rather pointless thread due to the cognitive bias.

19. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

When I look at my iPad at the same distance as I use my iPhone - Yes
    When I look at my iPad at the typical working distance I use - No

There are two factors to consider; dot pitch of the pixels on the panel and the distance between the screen and the viewer. For me, cannot apply this to everyone, but the distance I normally use my iPad is far enough away that I do not notice the individual pixels. With my iPhone 2G, my normal closer working distance, made the pixels much more apparent to me.

20. duky macrumors 6502

Bothers me just as much as it bothers me to go from my 2560x1440 resolution to a 1920x1200 resolution on a 24". The first few seconds take some getting used to (i.e. I make fun of whoever's computer I'm using) but then it's just another computer with a lower resolution that still works fine. One day I'll be very very happy when iPad gets its own Retina Display but until then it still works just as great as it did on Day 1. So no, it does not bother me but yes there is a large difference despite these people here claiming they don't see a difference (maybe you should have your eyes checked if you do not).

21. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

I would have liked that the screen is better than the iPhone 4, or on par - but then to actually implement that would probably be impossible, especially to fit into the current price barrier.

It's not 'fuzzy' as such, but the iPhone 4 screen is pretty spectacular.

22. Bozola macrumors regular

I have seen the retina display and checked it out for a long while.

Still love my iPad.

23. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am reading this thread from one foot away. The text looks fuzzy. Am I too close to it?

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Get over it.

The iPad has a higher pixel density than many desktop monitors, than nearly all HDTV's etc.. Why are the moaners reserving this stupid argument for the iPad?

Surely there must be a group of sad iPhone 4 owners huddled together in a tiny pact who refuse to look at anything ever again if it doesn't have a 300ppi res.

Sad sad sad....

No it's just the meds. Don't worry you'll be coming back down shortly.

25. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Other than some occasional wifi issue at a few hotels (I travel for a living), I'm REALLY enjoying my 3G iPad, and have been since launch day. But yea, to my eyes, when compared to my iPhone 4, there's a big difference in screen quality. Just doesn't really "bother" me. It'll be nice when the screen gets upgraded on some future version, and of course when iOS4 makes the scene, but in the meantime, no biggie.

Also, I'm returning my problematic iPhone 4 to Apple and reverting back to my trusty 3GS, so my iPad's screen will soon look nicer again in comparison. Every cloud has a silver lining!